1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post on the forum and i have been trying to decide on a 1911 . A friend came over the other day with a Kimber Custom II and we fired several times a real sweet shooter . But i have read some bad things about them on the net but i really liked the gun thinking about buying one . Just wanted some ideas about them . I have a Glock 19 and a Beretta 92 just wanted to add a 1911 . Thanks

·
Registered
951 Posts
Scott, Welcome to the forum.

I do not know much about Kimber myself, other than my friend has one and my Springfield will outshoot it any day of the week. Consider if you want a .45or a 9mm in the 1911. I know your other guns are 9mm, but its still cheaper to shoot. Look at the Springfields, see what they offer handle a few as well.

You may want to read the other postings in the Kimber collum and the other manufactures collums as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Buy a Colt I bought a Kimber and with in a month it was replaced with a new Colt. That mess up safety for one thing I perfer the Colt series 80 if I have to have one. The pistol just doesn't have the Colt feel

·
Registered
225 Posts
I own a Kimber custom II and I LOVE it, the only jams I have had was from the gun being VERY mistreated. No jams since I cleaned all the parts, shoots great too:rock:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hey guys this is my first post on the forum and i have been trying to decide on a 1911 . A friend came over the other day with a Kimber Custom II and we fired several times a real sweet shooter . But i have read some bad things about them on the net but i really liked the gun thinking about buying one . Just wanted some ideas about them . I have a Glock 19 and a Beretta 92 just wanted to add a 1911 . Thanks

Me thinks, eastnscott, that your first venture into Browning's classic design should be from the company which started it all -- COLT...

Get yourself a Colt Series 70 reissued (a basic gun - blued or stainless) that you can build on or just shoot as is. You'll have the 'Prancing Pony', you'll have a very well built Government, and you'll have a good warranty should it be needed...

That's the best advice I can give to a first time 1911 platform buyer...

Good Luck & welcome...

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a Kimber Custom TLE II, basically the same model that I bought almost two years ago. I've never had a single problem with it with close to 5000 rounds.

Kimber makes a great gun and their customer service is excellent.

As far as what's posted on the net, I try my best to sort out the difference between a legitimate issue as opposed to people just trying to bad mouth an organization.

Good luck in your choice. :)

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Edit: Dang...where are my manners. WELCOME to the forum. Great place and people. Enjoy.

Try to get to a location where you can handle a bunch of guns from different makers....if at all possible. It does makes a difference when you see them and feel them in hand. Shooting them is even better, but that requires handling someones gun similar to what you may be after.

I own (or have owned) Kimbers, Colts, S&Ws, STIs, Springers, Taurus, Wilson and a hybrid Caspian/Springer in 9mm.......38 Supers, 9mm's and .45's. The .38 Supers and the .45's are all solid shooters but the ammo cost is up there now. The 9mm's are just plain fun and cheap to shoot.

Couple of thoughts here:

As to Kimber.....I own multiple guns (all full sized) and zippo (0) problems with any of them through 1'000s of rounds down range from each. A couple are now over 12,000 rounds each and climbing. One of the best out of box triggers going with solid accuracy to boot. Some don't like the Series II safety and that is a valid issue. Four of my six were also external extractor models. Again....no issues whatsoever. I should mention that I lube my guns decently including the Series II safety parts and that might help with that concern.

Springer makes a fine range of guns with a great warranty and service to back them up. I own multiple Springers from Mil Spec's, to Loaded's to a TRP. All have been fine guns except for one issue with a slide to frame on a 9mm Loaded that came in too tight. Springer service was exceptional and that gun has not baulked since it came back.

Colt was the "original" so the pride of that fact is there along with a solid gun.

S&W is making a very decent name for themselves. Again the safety is an issue for some. Their external extractor seems to be one that works and works well, while Kimbers (different design) had it ups, downs (particularly on their shorter guns) and is now gone from their newer guns.

The Taurus PT1911 seems to be just a good production/entry gun at a good price.

My STI's (both 9mm with one a commander and the other a full sized0 are very solid and accurate guns. STI is usually a higher buck gun but I hear they have a newer less costly model out that is getting decent review.

The Wilson Combat CQB is a $2,300 gun (feels and shoots like it) but I picked it up NIB for a whole let less that that.....right time, right place. :cool: Hands down the best one I own and my most accurate to date.

For 9mm 1911's......STI and Springer make some of the best going. Kimber also has at least one model in their line and some older Colts are out there.

Target or combat sights? Plain jane or more modern looking? Basic Colt, GI, Mil Spec or something more like the Custom II you took to? COLT and Springer make your more basic "original" weapons along with RIA (I believe), as well as the rest of their models which have the modern mods/add ons/etc.

In all honesty my Colt's have been the most problematic (2 out of 4) which is not the usual case and my Taurus came in with a barrel out of spec. I just threw a spare barrel into it and she was up and running like a champ. The one Springer as mentioned, came in with the slide to frame issue that was most effectively resolved by Springer Service. In a few cases a custom fitted barrel bushing was needed (2 Colt's and my Springer Mil Spec's) to really snap up the accuracy on the guns, although out of box they had solid SD/HD accuracy.

In the end buy what you want (what really fits and appeals to you) as we here on the forum can recommend (or play down) a lot of guns and makers along with our own specific (hopefully no 2nd hand stuff) experiences (which vary all over the place) with them. What grabs you in a 1911? Most of the time the major players guns work fine out of box and run well down the line.

Good luck to you and fine shooting. Let us know what you end up with.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

Other folks will have more to share on this.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't know how to say this gently... there is NO known cure for the 1911 bug. I'm so sorry. NOT! :biglaugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts