1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to the 1911 game and found this site a few days ago. I've been eating it up and going through it trying to learn all I can about these pistols.

As of right now I do not have a 1911, but am dead set on getting a Kimber. I've got to shoot a couple and they are an absoulte dream. My only reasoning on not having one yet is trying to find the one that will suit me best. Finances will be another big factor. The gun will see 99% range duty and hopefully 0% home defense.

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions later. See you guys soon!

-Miles

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
Welcome Miles! Buying your first 1911 is like your first hit on the meth pipe. You can never go back. Stick around and see if you can sort out the BS...:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome to the 1911 world! When I was shopping for my first 1911, I knew I didn't want to break the bank, but also knew that I wanted to start out with a high quality shooter. I went through my safe, found 3 guns that I didn't use hardly at all and traded them off for my Kimber. Best trade I ever made! I still had to fork over a little bit of cash, but no where near the MSRP of the gun. Good decision to go with Kimber, I absolutely love mine!

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the 1911 club!

Kimber is a good first choice. I have two of them and if I had to do it all over again I'd still choose Kimber. They make a great 1911 and their customer service is excellent.

You mentioned that your first Kimber is going to be your range shooter. It sounds like you'll be plowing lots and lots of rounds through it. If that's the case, I would recommend a full size (5") steel frame model. Of course, you'll get many many good opinions on this forum, but that's my advice.

My range gun is a Custom TLE II with almost 5000 rounds through it and no problems. I also use it for carry when I want to switch from my PRO CDP II.

Good shooting! :rock:

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Welcome and enjoy......great place and folks.

My 1st 1911 was a well used Kimber TLE II. Since then a few more Kimber's found their way into the herd.

Take your time choosing. Enjoy whatever you end up with. Let us know how it all goes. Get to know it well and likewise hope that it never sees SD/HD duty, but be ready just in case.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
diggler1833 said:
My only reasoning on not having one yet is trying to find the one that will suit me best.
You're one of the smart ones. Doing your research BEFORE you buy the gun. Welcome to the forum.... :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Once you have questions, ask away. And best of luck finding YOUR 1911! :)

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Welcome aboard, Miles :)

Don't count out a used gun. Good deals are sure to be found!

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
RdB said:
Welcome aboard, Miles :)

Don't count out a used gun. Good deals are sure to be found!
Absolutely. If you look at the history of my threads, I ended up, just recently, coming across a very nice series 1 HD on GunBroker.com. I had it dolled up in new grips before I ever shot it too. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Welcome Miles.

You can't go wrong with Kimber. You'll undoubtedly end up with more than just one!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I started out with a TLE-RL-II. Nice gun, no problems. I now shoot the Pro series (4") BUT I have a Custom SIS (5") on order.

The one change I recommend on all 1911s is to get a set of Hogue grips (their model number 45090). I like the palm swell that it provides (for $12 to $15, depending on where you get them).

Have fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts