1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a link to my first ever 1911 project, a GI replica. Makes it easier for a newbie...no need to be ultra precise to the millionths of an inch. Always wanted a GI 1911 and will have about $500 in it, versus over $1000 for genuine (I'd probably get burned by a fake anyway). Will post updates here. Have all the parts now, so should be pretty regular updates.
My GI pistol project
Here's an old thread showing the slide:
Rem Rand slide

·
Administrator
75,243 Posts
Looking good so far. Keep us updated.!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Scooter,
Having done two of these here are some tips.

1. Make sure there is adequate clearance for the tang of the grip safety. Looking from the rear make sure the machining completely matches that of a standard frame.
2. relieve the milling a bit at the forward portion of the trigger bow.
3. relieve the area of the frame where the barrel and link are at rest/baattery.

On the plus side ... with a militray slide, a barstow barrel and good tight match bushing each fired 1 1/2" at 25 yards. If there are any problems Gary at Caspian and Irv at Barstow were quite helpful.

Your goona like the finished product. These are great frames just a bit finicky. /Ken

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hill356: Thanks for the tips. I did have to relieve the frame to allow barrel to rest on top of frame with slide all the way back, as when a round feeds...sorry, don't know the technical jargon yet! Not sure what you mean about #2 however. The trigger seems to function properly, correct travel, etc without mod to the frame.

Here's a sneak peek of the assembled product. Functionally it's about 80%. Just got it assembled, haven't fired yet or done any feed ramp work. Seems to work ok, although trigger feels a bit spongy, not crisp. Has Wilson sear and dis, with new GI trigger. Still lacks some cosmetic smoothing before a full parkerized finish. Mag release button is longer than standard GI but looks good so I may use it anway.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thanks for creating this "blog," so we can watch the building of your gun. I've thought of doing this (mil-spec) several times.

I sure miss our "build-it-yourself" forum....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts