1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my first 1911, a SW1911 for xmas and finally got to the range today. Only took 100 rounds of ammo to the range with me. Thats two boxes of Winchester WinClean 230 Gr. BEB (given as a gift cause they were the cheapest at walmart.) I did not successfully shoot a single mag load without a FTF!

I'm using the Wilson Combat mags that came with the gun and all I did up to this point was field strip it, clean it, and lube it. I wish I could say that it was always the first or last round that jammed but it was totally random. Sometimes the 3rd or 4th would jam. Sometimes I could give it a push and it would fully close but other times I had to pull the slide back and eject it. I did a search but since I'm new to the 1911, I had some trouble when parts of the gun are described that I'm not familiar with. I will just let some pictures speak 1000 words here and show you what the jams looked like.

Notice the slide would stop short...

Here are some close-ups of the chamber...

I don't have any other mags to try and based on how good everyone says wilson mags are, I was hoping the rule them out. Thinking it was the WinClean ammo, I ran to walmart and got some Winchester 185 Gr. Silvertip HPs.

I loaded up the mags and didn't shoot but cycled the ammo through the gun several times. The beginning and middle FTFs seemed to stop but the last round would FTF almost every time. I field stripped again and cleaned it thorougly. But at this point I noticed some of the bullets had been forced deep into the brass.

I stopped cycling them and went outside and fired what was left of the ammo (2 full clips and 1 half clip) without a jam. Granted it wasn't much, but compared to my earlier session at the range, it was terrific.

Anyway, I'm a little curious what you 1911 pros think my problem was (or is.) I'll head back to the range next saturday and try to get more ammo Winchester (not WinClean) and whatever else the local gun shop has but if I still get jams what should I do? This is not what I was expecting from a $700 gun to say the least.

I'm also curious if it would be safe to fire those 4 rounds or if I should just scrap them.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Scrap the rounds. A set back like that will increase the pressure way to much.

And might be break in problems and might be ammo related. Try a different type of ammo.

Were the last rounds shot the Sliver tips? If silver tips, then it most porb could be ammo related.

And no I am not a pro. But I got a SW1911 and so far I have not had any issues. But I have not shot the WinClean either.

They are good pistols, and if the problems keep up, contact SandW.

Stacey

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Another thought.........When you put it back together after cleaning, did you put the recoil spring back in with the "closed" end going on the guide rod first? A backwards recoil spring can affect the slide travel distance and cause FTF's.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tonerguy said:
Too much extractor tension or a burr on the extractor can keep the rim of the round from sliding up the breechface in to the extractor hook. It causes FTF's. Don't know if an external extractor can produce too much tension.
I was thinking this myself but I didn't want to disassemble the gun beyond a field strip for fear of voiding the warranty and because frankly I'm not exactly sure how to take that whole part apart just yet. :confused:

Kruzr said:
Another thought.........When you put it back together after cleaning, did you put the recoil spring back in with the "closed" end going on the guide rod first? A backwards recoil spring can affect the slide travel distance and cause FTF's.
Yes I did make sure of this. I noted that the spring had different ends when I first took it apart and made sure it went back together the same way. Thanks for the help so far guys. I can't wait to hit the range next weekend to see if it's just a matter of ammo.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Guess

I am not a gunsmith or beyond taking one down for a field strip and clean, really, but, my attempt to fix would be:
1. Try different mags.
2. No work still? Have someone polish breech face, chamber, throat.
3. It doesn't look like the cartridge is getting as far up as the extractor...if it is, then you find a guy who works on external extractors....it may just need tension adjustment or de-burring.
and/or ship it back to Smith.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'll suggest you try some cheap ball ammo first, to narrow things down. If that cycles well, shoot a bunch of it--to break the gun in. If ball fails, look for help here &/or contact S&W. smity

·
Registered
55 Posts
"Limp Wristing"?

Smity, your first 1911. Are you keeping firm control of pistol after you shoot? Failure to do so could result in the condition you're experiencing. A thought.

Good Luck
Jim

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Well, here's my two cents worth. Field strip the gun. give it a good cleaning and relube ( make sure the slide rails and barrel locking lugs and front of barrel where it meets the Bushing are lubed ). Buy two boxes of Hardball ammo ( I suggest Federal American Eagle 230 gr.)
Take the gun out and make sure you are not Limp wristing the gun. Lock your Elbow and wrist. The .45 is a fairly stout round and really needs something to recoil against.
None of what I've mentioned is to Offend you. By doing this you will eliminate Variables.
If you are still getting jams after this Contact Pat Frates at S&W Customer service. She is tops in the service dept. Your new 1911 will be purring along in no time.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
MY.02 Take someone with you who has shot or owns a 1911. Also ask someone at the range to watch/shoot your weapon for another opinion. I agree to try 100 rds of 230 FMJRN. At least put 300 rds thru it before sending it back. Call S&W and see what they suggest. If all else fails---------Buy a Colt Tracy

·
Registered
119 Posts
Check the breech face for machining marks and breech face walls for not being to tight (with removed slide push the round from the bottom up and feel how easy it will go). At the same time, check if the round's rim does not binds with extractor claw (It should be some gap there if front of the rim). If you see any problem, polish, etc (if you feel comfortable doing it, if not - call S&W).

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing. Sometimes when it would feed, I could actually feel the slide hesitate before closing.

Try polishing the feed ramp, barrel chamber, and mouth of the chamber. If you notice on most pistols like berettas, glocks, the mouth to the chamber is polished to a mirror finish. The S&W1911 is not. I took 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper to mine just to smooth out the bumps, followed with some flitz, and also took some flitz to the breech face. After doing that, all is fine now. No more feed problems.

·
Registered
249 Posts
mine did the same thing. about a 20% failure to feed rate. the cartridge should be "up and centered" under the extractor. looks from your pictures the cartridge is not making it up but about 1/3 of the way on the failures. extractor is too tight. called s&w, look up their web site for the number. tell them what is happening and they will send you a fed ex ticket. sent mine in and had it back in 5 days. they "adjusted" (whatever that means with a springed and pinned) the extractor, polished the barrel and bushing and ramp, did the recall fix. the gun has been flawless, as it shoud be, since. will feed anything, even silver tips. extractor really has quite a bit to do with proper feeding of the new cartridge. mcole

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It looks to me like the case rim is not slipping up under the extractor. I believe the extractor has a sharp edge at the bottom that is digging into the brass and keeping it from rising, something that will definitely produce that kind of jam.

The solution should be removal of the extractor and a few strokes of a hard stone or file, but if the gun is new, it may be better to send it back to S&W or to an authorized S&W repair point. Call S&W; they will send a shipping label for a free return and will repair the pistol free under warranty.

Jim

·
Registered
249 Posts
that is a pinned extractor. send it to s & w with your pictures. they will fix it. mcole

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well I got 2 boxes of Ammo and went back to the range. The first box is Winchester 230GR. JHP and the second is CCI Blazer 200GR. JHP and I'm very happy to report that I shot both boxes without a single failure of any sort! :D This gun sure likes JHP bullets. I have yet to try any round-nose but I'll be sure and update when I have more ammo through it. I want to thank everyone for the suggestions.

t-tac said:
Take the gun out and make sure you are not Limp wristing the gun. Lock your Elbow and wrist. The .45 is a fairly stout round and really needs something to recoil against.
None of what I've mentioned is to Offend you. By doing this you will eliminate Variables.
I was not offended by anyone and I welcome such advice. I'll admit the recoil did surprise me. I thought my previous experience with my 357 mag would prepare me but the difference is in the weight of the gun and this 45 kicks a lot harder. Sure it's a stout round but I'm a stout individual and it wasn't long till I was hitting the 10 ring. Anyway, now that I know my gun will shoot I'm very happy with it!

mdwpm said:
By the way Jinzoningen, nice job with the photos! What camera?
The camera is an Olympus Camedia D-460. I bought it a few years ago because it takes excellent up-close digital photos. Paid over $400 2 years ago. Probably under $100 these days.
:hrm:

Here are some more pix:

And I have one final question.... Even though my ammo is feeding fine, I notice that all the casings have scratches in them where the extractor bites into them. Could this be a sign that it is too tight?

Sorry for the blurry pic but I wanted to get light behind it. There is pleanty of room front-to-back but the bullet is quite tight wedged between the extractor and left side of the slide. Is this normal? How tight is too tight?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts