1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I have is the model PX9109L. Mags used were 2 Wilson 8 rounders, 2 CMc power mags 8 rounders & the factory mags. Modifications done are: bushing replaced with an Ed Brown drop-in, the two-piece guide rod replaced with a standard guide rod and GI plug and lastly the stock recoil spring replaced with a Wolff 18.5 lbs kit. Ammo used were 150 rounds of UMC FMJs 230 grns (only ones available at Bass Pro).
I am going to make this short & sweet. The pistol has good accuracy, shoots to POA with groupings between 1 to 2 inches at 10 yards. It fed flawlessly except for about 7 out of the 150 rounds, the last spent casing failed to eject and it happened mostly on the Wilson mags. The pistol was thoroughly cleaned and relubed before this and I relubed it every 50 rounds. But overall, the session was good. Through this thread, I am hoping to get feedbacks on what necessary steps I need to do to resolve the stovepipes. I know that 150 rounds might not be enough to break-in on a production pistol but in closing I have no regrets on this particular purchase of mine.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have actually thought of limpwristing as one of the possible culprit but the ftf only happens on the last spent casing. But I will certainly take note of that on my next session. Thanks, Wolfgang.

------------------

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just had my second trip to the range with my new 2001 ss v-12 target loaded model. I fired 150 rounds of Speer Lawman ammo from various distances. The gun performed perfectly 149 times. I experienced one case ejection problem. It occured with a factory mag, last shell. The expended case kind of stuck ( is this what stovepiping is?) against the top of the mag with the slide open.
I can't speak specifically for the gun's accuracy since I am only a 1911 beginner, but I was thrilled to be shooting 2 to 3 inch groups at 15 yards.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Originally posted by WilDJ:
I have actually thought of limpwristing as one of the possible culprit but the ftf only happens on the last spent casing. But I will certainly take note of that on my next session. Thanks, Wolfgang.

That being the case, it could be something else. Mag, mag spring, slide release, or your thumb.

Maybe it will clear up as you shoot it more. Maybe typical break in, or just getting used to the gun. Good luck, shoot straight, stay safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a 2001 loaded and it was having the same type of problem. The extractors on these new pistols suck. I had a new extractor fitted and it runs like a champ. Not one failure in about 500 rounds even with the cheep mags that came with the pistol. The breach face on mine was also very rough, they polished it up and checked a few things, well worth the time and extra money spent.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The breech face upon inspection is rough, something to consider as another culprit for the malfunction. Thanks lockandload. Extractor? I'll probably give it about 300 rounds more then we'll see.

------------------

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
WilDJ

You did not mention how much experience you have with 1911s, but in addition to the information you have been given about limp wristing, there is another posible reason for your experience. It may be possible that you have over lubricated your pistol, since you mentioned oiling it before shooting and relubing every 50 rounds. This much lubrication is generaly unnecessary.

Most owners manuals recommend a "light" coating of oil. In my experience most people do not have the same definition of what light is, and use too much; turning their slide into a shock absorber. When it comes to a "light" coating of oil I recommend the following.

1. Wet the tip of a Cue-tip with oil.
2. Trace the Cue-tip along the areas that you are going to lubricate.
3. Get another Cue-tip, or a clean patch, and wipe all of the oil off.

The remaining film is enough. If you live in a hot climate, substitute a good gun grease for the oil on the slide and frame.

When it comes to oil, or more is not better. If there is enough that it pools, runs, or drips, you have too much.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
WilDJ

I just reread your post, and there are other things that can induce ejection problems. The big three are the extractor (possibly too tight in your case), the ejector, and a very rough chamber. There was someone else in the Kimber board having ejection problems with a Gold Match. I suggest looking there and reading the thread "First and Last Kimber" by "oldcolt". This thread had a lot of information on the causes of ejection problems.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a SA TRP send it back and they will fix it. Call Deb in the Custom Shop, great people and great service

1 - 11 of 11 Posts