1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
ATI GSG .22lr 1911, Springfield 9mm Garrison 1911, 10/22, Mini-14 .223/5.56, M1A 6.5 Creedmoor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood Audio equipment

I took my first 1911, a 9mm Springfield Garrison, to the range today; I field stripped, cleaned/oiled it the day before

I really enjoyed shooting it; the recoil is similar to my Beretta 92FS, much better than the PX4 Compact I've found so frustrating to shoot and difficult to rack - the Garrison is very easy

I used the Springfield magazine that came with the gun and a Wilson Combat magazine I'd purchased. Ammo was 115gr FMJ, Fiocchi

I need to work on my shooting fundamentals; I have a hard time seeing the front sight; I'm nearsighted and left-eye dominant and wear progressive lenses. I did get on paper, which I haven't been able to with the PX4 Compact, as I just don't handle the recoil very well

I did about 20 shots before the slide stuck and would not advance (I'm still a 1911 newbie, so please forgive me if I'm not using the correct terminology). I dumped the magazine, and attempted to rack the gun, but it would not rack. I pointed it in a safe direction, and got a Range Safety Officer - he could not rack my gun, either. Someone from the onsite gun shop came and with difficulty, got the slide to rack and the rounds to eject. He told me I needed to apply more oil (I had applied a light coating) and to use a firm grip.

I'm going to bring it to my gunshop/FFL/gunsmith and have him check it out for any mechanical issues. I figure it's part of "new gun issues"; I defintely want to keep shooting it!

· Premium Member
ATI GSG .22lr 1911, Springfield 9mm Garrison 1911, 10/22, Mini-14 .223/5.56, M1A 6.5 Creedmoor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What was the distance to that target? What hand are you holding your gun with and what eye are you using to aim?
Distance was 7 yards; I’m right handed

When I look at the target with the sights, I can’t really see anything until I close my left eye - my eyes seem to cross if I keep them open

My understanding with red/green dots is the dot is out on the target and then you shoot

· Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't worry about Slide Glide, it is no different from any other lube of its consistency.

So, to recap, you're sure you are left eye dominant, you hold your gun in your right hand, you close your dominant eye when you shoot?
I was at an Armed Women of America class - I was told to make a triangle, close one eye, then the other and say when the object shifted. I did that and was told I was left eye dominant. For some reason, I can’t close my right eye very easily, but I can close my left eye - I think I’m just confused, arrrgh

· Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I came back from the range, cleaned and oiled it well - and assembled it all by myself (well, I watched a 1911 cleaning and lubing video on YouTube)- I got the slide lock lever in with the help of the tool from the Vortex Venom red dot I have on the PX4 (it’s a small flat head screwdriver - used it to push in the detent while pushing the slide lock lever up and in, yay!!!!)

I’ve been racking it repeatedly and it’s smooth like silk; I hope to get out to the range with it again this up coming week

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions!

· Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I made a little video for you when I was at the range today. It actually is a bit longer than I planned for because I was testing a new mag catch button on my competition gun. Of course, the damn thing is tool long and engaged it with my support hand mid-string, dropping the mag. In a retrospect, though, it may have been helpful because it showed that I indexed the gun on target twice.
The setup is similar to yours, 7 yards, silhouette target, and a 1911. Mine is .45. The difference is that I taped my front sight the best I could. I even went looking for a black tape so there was no contrast patch upfront that I could use.

Your result that you posted above doesn't have anything to do with cross-dominance. You should be able to center punch that target at that distance without sights. Even if you can't center punch it, you should be able to hold the group somewhere on the target. Your result is diagnostic of severe anticipation, flinching and subconscious fear of gun going off. 1911 trigger is a king of anticipation induction. You've received a terrible advice elsewhere on the site encouraging you to try .45. Of course the 45 is not going to fly out of your hands or break your hand bones but it will induce those tension responses even more. My sincere recommendation is to put down the 1911 for a bit, put away the PX4cc (it is a stupendous carry gun, I owned two, you're just not quite ready for it), make sure your B92 fits your hands well, get a 22LR conversion for it and work with it until everything lands within 2 inches of target's center.

In regards to eye cross-dominance:
  • never close your dominant eye; instead turn your head so you're aiming with it
  • that early in shooter's development a lot of great instructors recommend learning to shoot left handed.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you so much for the video; I appreciate it!
Yes, I came to the same conclusion regarding the PX4, that I was getting frustrated with it - so it’s currently tucked away in my gun safe

I’m seriously considering looking for a .22 1911-type; I like the 1911 feel in my hands, and I think being able to place shots in tighter groups will help

Take care!

· Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I’m taking poster YVK’s advice; all the 9mm’s are in the gun safe, and I have an ATI GSG 1911 .22 coming - as I’m using it for training and plinking, I didn’t want to spend a lot, and I’ve read many positive things about this firearm - it’s not a custom 1911 - but it doesn’t have to be

Another positive is that as it’s a .22, it will need to be cleaned and lubricated early and often - and doing that will continue to get me familiar with basic 1911 maintenance. I did get high velocity .22lr (1250fps); the Aguila .22 I have on-hand works fine in my 10/22; from what I’ve read, it might be an issue in the GSG

I hope to find some good instruction in my area (Ogden, Utah)

I’m going to focus on shooting fundamentals: trigger control, sight, breathing, flinching and anticipation control until I can get good groups with the .22, then work the 9mm.

I’m setting a future reward of getting an upgraded 1911, but I have a lot to work on first

Thanks, YVK and all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts