1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,976 Posts
Distance was 7 yards; I’m right handed

When I look at the target with the sights, I can’t really see anything until I close my left eye - my eyes seem to cross if I keep them open

My understanding with red/green dots is the dot is out on the target and then you shoot
Don't worry about Slide Glide, it is no different from any other lube of its consistency.

So, to recap, you're sure you are left eye dominant, you hold your gun in your right hand, you close your dominant eye when you shoot?

· Registered
5,976 Posts
I was at an Armed Women of America class - I was told to make a triangle, close one eye, then the other and say when the object shifted. I did that and was told I was left eye dominant. For some reason, I can’t close my right eye very easily, but I can close my left eye - I think I’m just confused, arrrgh
Do you care for an unsolicited advice? I'm not the most tactful person around here and I have been trying hard not to get into other people's threads. There is a bunch of stuff to unpack in yours. I am happy to stay out and let others say something, or let you figure it out yourself.

· Registered
5,976 Posts
I made a little video for you when I was at the range today. It actually is a bit longer than I planned for because I was testing a new mag catch button on my competition gun. Of course, the damn thing is tool long and engaged it with my support hand mid-string, dropping the mag. In a retrospect, though, it may have been helpful because it showed that I indexed the gun on target twice.
The setup is similar to yours, 7 yards, silhouette target, and a 1911. Mine is .45. The difference is that I taped my front sight the best I could. I even went looking for a black tape so there was no contrast patch upfront that I could use.

Your result that you posted above doesn't have anything to do with cross-dominance. You should be able to center punch that target at that distance without sights. Even if you can't center punch it, you should be able to hold the group somewhere on the target. Your result is diagnostic of severe anticipation, flinching and subconscious fear of gun going off. 1911 trigger is a king of anticipation induction. You've received a terrible advice elsewhere on the site encouraging you to try .45. Of course the 45 is not going to fly out of your hands or break your hand bones but it will induce those tension responses even more. My sincere recommendation is to put down the 1911 for a bit, put away the PX4cc (it is a stupendous carry gun, I owned two, you're just not quite ready for it), make sure your B92 fits your hands well, get a 22LR conversion for it and work with it until everything lands within 2 inches of target's center.

In regards to eye cross-dominance:
  • never close your dominant eye; instead turn your head so you're aiming with it
  • that early in shooter's development a lot of great instructors recommend learning to shoot left handed.

Best of luck to you.

· Registered
5,976 Posts
First, don't worry about breathing unless your goal is bullseye. You're not going to hold your breath when you shoot for the score, whatever that means for you.

I hope to find some good instruction in my area (Ogden, Utah)
If you trusted me on the first part, I'll try to milk it :). There are very strong competition shooters in SLC/Ogden area but nobody good that I know of teaches [don't ask me how I know, I just do :)]. Check the steel challenge matches, I think they have them at the Lee-Kay. It is fun and decent practice. However, the TPC in St George has by far the best fundamentals instruction program that exists. Again, I just know :). Sign up for their Handgun Mastery class. I would try to call first and find out who is going to instruct. They have a large cadre that they use and sometimes they don't know who will be doing what and when. If there is an option to take a class instructed by the Williams girls and/or Glen Wong, or Brian Nelson, that would be good. If not, it still will be good. That place is like a farm for champion shooters, and they do a great job with us mere mortals too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts