1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a gun of any type before, although I have fired several different handguns (beretta 9mm, kimber classic .45, glock 17 .40sw [I think]). Out of all these, I enjoyed the kimber the most. Now the only problem is that I think that it may either:

a. have too many features for my level (i.e. willing to dump niceities for a simple, reliable, cheaper gun).

or

b. I might not be able to afford it at this time anyways.

What I was wondering was what are some good cheaper alternatives to a Kimber, if there are any worth considering. My needs are a full size .45 that is more reliable/sturdy than anything, with accuracy second only to that. While I can afford to wait to get the Kimber, like I said I'm not sure that someone of my ability grouping would notice the difference. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi Rand

CJ has a good suggestion...

The Springfield's are a good quality gun and are a little cheaper or a lot cheaper depending on which Kimber you're comparing to.

I'd say not to sell yourself short on what you buy or your shooting skills. Your skills will/should increase with experience and a pistol that you enjoy will likely be shot more. Of course your budget will dictate what you can buy.

Many folks start with a standard GI style pistol, love them and leave them stock. Others start with a standard model and modify them over time. Depending on how much you shoot, you may not need a "feature" gun. If you pay for features up front, it's usually cheaper than adding them later.

As to features, none are what I'd consider "necessary", but things like a beavertail, removal of sharp edges, good sights and trigger will make shooting easier, more comfortable and in turn you often shoot better.

One reason you may have enjoyed shooting the Kimber was due to it's beavertail, sights, and other 'features". So, if possible, try to shoot a couple other style 1911's to help in your decision.

Just my opinions, but HTH.

JSP

·
Registered
370 Posts
as a new shooter i would always reccomend a 22lr auto/revolver or rifle. its FUN and Cheap (as you said the wallet may suffer with a 45)
you could also go look for surplus revolver in 45acp, which are cheaper and easier to work than an auto.
if an auto is needed then go shoot a 45 glock, its simple and accurate and reliable.
keep shooting and testing before you make a final decision

------------------
PRK -the crap may start here but does NOT End here --BP45

1 - 4 of 4 Posts