1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found time to take a trip to the local Range. My purpose was to try out the 1911 that I retrieved from the trunk of a car I bought for parts. Wrapped in Newspaper and shoved in a paper sack, It had been there for a very long time. After a complete disassembly and complete cleaning, It was not in bad shape so I put it back together and out to the range I went. Of course the first shot was going to be interesting, but it proved to be uneventful. I managed to shoot 40 some rds before the front sight decided I was having way to much fun and left for parts unknown. Now my dilemma is what to do about a front sight. It shot really high and since I don't have what was there I don't know what to replace it with. Also I understand this is a Gun Smith instillation so any advise would be welcome. I have done the Home Work and know that Auto Ordinance is not well thought of, but this gun did have some work done on it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Just order a extra tall replacement sight and have it re-staked. You can file it down to your preferred load. A friend of mine had a Auto Ordinance years ago and it ran everything he put through it. I hate to say it but the way it was wrapped, makes me wonder if it is hot or used in a crime, but I have seen people transport guns like that and forget where they put them, so it's better off you found it.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Bought used car for car parts, found used gun wrapped in sack in trunk of car and this happened in CA. Did I read this correct?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought used car for car parts, found used gun wrapped in sack in trunk of car and this happened in CA. Did I read this correct?
To answer your question. The car had multiple previous owners and there was a lot of junk and car parts through out the car. I just happened to be the last stop on its way to a "pic-a-part" and had I not been looking for small parts I could use I probably would have never noticed. There were a lot of things left behind and I doubt this was anything more than somebody forgot about it. The gun was unloaded, with a worthless GI magazine and obviously had not been used in a very long time. Serial # intact. If nothing else its got a nice full length guide rod and a few other goodies I can use on something else.
Thank You for your input. I found someone local with the correct staking tool to replace the front sight and will follow your advice.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I thought all guns in CA needed birth certificates, family trees and permission slips from some Liberal God?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts