1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Wilson thumb safety fitted to my 9mm lightweight Guardian and Trijicon HD sights put on it. The Thumb safety was put on because the one that came on the Guardian tended to dig into the base of my strong hand.
Today I shot it first time. I was worried about the sights. No problem there. The shots hit a little high at 30ft and certainly not enough to worry about.
The only problem I did experience is that the mag did come slightly out the pistol on the last shot and the pistol did not lock open. I only had the mag that came with the pistol and plan to try some Wilson mags next time at the range.
Overall though this is one really sweet shooting pistol!!

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Congrats glad to hear you like it.. I'm not. A big fan of the factory mags myself but hopefully the WC mags will solve the problem..

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Good luck with your new DW.

Did you experience the same issues with both of the supplied mags? What ammo were you using?
I'm wondering if the lips of the mag have to be tweaked or if there's a burr on the mag lock catch? Try to assess when the slide is off the frame.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only had one of the mags with me unfortunately. Next time I will bring more. I was using 115 grain aluminum Blazer ammo.
I will take a closer look next time. I did have much time to take a hard look. I plan on going back next week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Funny.....I see so many complain about the factory mags and really rave about Wilson Combats....heck I have always like Wilson Combat mags. I have a Heritage that runs the factory mags flawlessly and won't run a Wilson Combat worth a flip. At least every other full magazine has at least one FTF. The Wilson runs flawlessly in my son's Sig STX...so I gave it to him and tried a Chip McCormick mag. The Chips run as good as you would want.

The point being, each gun will be slightly different in what it likes and does not like......by the way I love my Heritage!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I only had one of the mags with me unfortunately. Next time I will bring more. I was using 115 grain aluminum Blazer ammo.
I will take a closer look next time. I did have much time to take a hard look. I plan on going back next week.
I've found Blazer ammo to be a bit of a light load, especially with a 115. If you have a lot of it to shoot up, you may want to go 1 lb lighter on the recoil spring. You can also try a heavier bullet weight and you might find it's an ammo problem and not a mag issue. Just a thought and good luck.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've found Blazer ammo to be a bit of a light load, especially with a 115. If you have a lot of it to shoot up, you may want to go 1 lb lighter on the recoil spring. You can also try a heavier bullet weight and you might find it's an ammo problem and not a mag issue. Just a thought and good luck.
The Dan Wesson ate it like a champ. No problems. I appreciate the suggestions though. I have never had a problem with blazer in any of my pistols. Wolf is another matter with very hard primers.
I had some Russian junk once and had to put a lighter spring in my Glock to make it cycle. I shot it up in the Glock cause that is not a high end pistol; but it works!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny.....I see so many complain about the factory mags and really rave about Wilson Combats....heck I have always like Wilson Combat mags. I have a Heritage that runs the factory mags flawlessly and won't run a Wilson Combat worth a flip. At least every other full magazine has at least one FTF. The Wilson runs flawlessly in my son's Sig STX...so I gave it to him and tried a Chip McCormick mag. The Chips run as good as you would want.

The point being, each gun will be slightly different in what it likes and does not like......by the way I love my Heritage!
1911's can be finicky about mags.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I default to Wilson mags in .45 simply because they've run consistently and reliably in all my various 1911s for decades. I haven't had the same luck with others. That makes Wilson a solid, known constant so I don't have to remember what works and what doesn't in any given gun. Also, at this point, I have quite a few. Not sayin' other quality mags aren't good and the only came with the gun, mfg supplied mags I've had any problems with are, of course, Colt's.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
@ltxi I have a Colt that came with Wilson mags!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts