1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2 tone nickel/parked rock island armory GI and I want to install a beavertail without filing through the nickel plated frame to fit the safety. I looked on the Advanced tactical website and found that they have the same grip safety that they make for the tactical model RIA's and Citadel's. I already ordered a wilson combat drop in GI beavertail, but I am quite worried about how big of a gap there is going to be.

I decided that as a backup I should order the advanced tactical beavertail since it seems like it has a thinner profile and would be fairly easy to file down and fit to the frame.

Has anybody else tried doing something like this? the thought of using a jig to file down the tang on my GI frame makes me cry a little inside.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
, but I am quite worried about how big of a gap there is going to be.

get it, fit it, then decide
Pretty clear pics here of what the Wilson drop in will look like on a RIA

the RIA beavertail will be a 250 radius .
You'll have to do a lot of cutting on it to make it fit

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After seeing those pictures I am completely ok with the wilson. After I file it to size it will match up just fine from what it looks like

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Fitting a beavertail grip safety.....

Not all grip safeties are alike, and some allow the hand to fit higher on the gun than others. Most gunsmiths will use the proper jig to make the proper arc for a grip safety.....for example the Smith and Alexander beavertail used a different jig than other brands at one time......they may have changed....:scratch:

Filing the tang by hand will be a labor of love, but entirely possible....!

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
.for example the Smith and Alexander beavertail used a different jig than other brands at one time......they may have changed...
while they're known for their 220 radius, I believe they offer a 250r too now

Filing the tang by hand will be a labor of love, but entirely possible....!
he's trying to avoid cutting frame due to nickle finish

.L.T.A.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^ exactly. Its not that I can't, I just have never owned a nickel frame gun before and I don't want to cause it to start chipping. It couldn't be that hard to hand file the grip safety where the beavertail starts. That being said, I am just going to go the drop in route. My beavertail should be here by Thursday or Friday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts