1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to fit and blend a Chip Mccormick extreme grip safety to my Wilson combat frame. My Wilson combat already has a Wilson bullet proof safety blended and fitted to the frame, however I want to get the highest grip possible. My question is it possible to fit the Chip Mccormick and if so what gunsmith or shop can do it?

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
I think you would be making a big mistake.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yes it is possible but would require welding up. And refinishing.

JM

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Your grip is not going to get noticeably higher with a CMC grip safety.

They look a little higher, but raping the frame of the pistol and having a horrible looking grip safety is not a good reason to get rid of the best grip safety on the market.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your grip is not going to get noticeably higher with a CMC grip safety.

They look a little higher, but raping the frame of the pistol and having a horrible looking grip safety is not a good reason to get rid of the best grip safety on the market.
Really? I shot a friends pistol with one professionally installed and the difference was very apparent to me.

·
Premium Member
20,422 Posts
Chop up one of the best frames in the world to install a grip safety???

·
Registered
125 Posts
Really? I shot a friends pistol with one professionally installed and the difference was very apparent to me.
Some people on forums speak when they might have no idea what they are talking about so don't worry. In fact many custom smiths weld up the frames when they have to for a seamless fit.

The GS you described does in fact look like a higher grip and others have mentioned, it can be done after being welded up

Here's Chuck Rogers "raping" a frame. :rolleyes:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=163348

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Texas Leo:

While possible, as you have seen by some examples, what little theoretical advantage you might gain is probably not worth all the work and expense. Sometimes the pursuit of a theoretical advantage can be an exercise in frustration that is not worth it in the end.

But hey, it's your money and your gun !

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some people on forums speak when they might have no idea what they are talking about so don't worry. In fact many custom smiths weld up the frames when they have to for a seamless fit.

The GS you described does in fact look like a higher grip and others have mentioned, it can be done after being welded up

Here's Chuck Rogers "raping" a frame. :rolleyes:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=163348
Thank you for the informative response, unlike others on here. That amazing Chuck Rogers' work is what I saw while researching welding in reference to grip safety's.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Texas Leo:

While possible, as you have seen by some examples, what little theoretical advantage you might gain is probably not worth all the work and expense. Sometimes the pursuit of a theoretical advantage can be an exercise in frustration that is not worth it in the end.

But hey, it's your money and your gun !
How is something "theoretical" when he observed the difference in the real world?

I am in a 1911 gunsmithing forum yes?

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
How is something "theoretical" when he observed the difference in the real world?

I am in a 1911 gunsmithing forum yes?

OP could take a dremel and just blend his Wilson until he gets into the hole for the thumb safety axle. Then it would be just like a CMC or an Ed Brown.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Nem45:

By way of background, I have been carrying the 1911 as a LEO and competing with one since 1981, so I have a little idea about these things (and have spent far too much money getting my 1911s built by top-notch gunsmiths, too !) The first 1911 I owned with a BT had the Safari Arms, as it was the first commercial one readily available. Since then, I have had guns with S&A, Wilson, CMC, Brown, Kings, and the Novak Answer, so I do have a decent basis of comparison.

"Observing" a difference between no BT at all, or an old-school model is one thing; "observing" the incredibly if not unmeasureable difference between a Wilson high-ride and a CMC is something else. If the OP was starting from scratch, with an un-modified gun, then go to town. I have had CMC BTs on several guns, and like them.
Since his question was about doing this work on an gun already fitted for one of the better BTs out there (and no, they did not pay me to write this - they don't even know me), the question of whether it can be done - clearly can be - vs. whether it should be done, is more the crux of the matter. In the end, is is the OP's gun. More power to him, but he might be better off building a gun the way he wanted from the start, instead of re-spending money.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Having used both grip safeties in question there is a definite difference in the hold afforded by the CMC/Brown types. I have reshaped Wilson grip safeties for a higher hold and it has worked out well, though it is not quite as high as the CMC.

Wilson does make a 'High Ride' beavertail grip safety. Perhaps that could be fitted and the frame blended for the higher grip sought. I haven't used one of those personally so can't confirm it actually allows a higher grip.

·
Registered
125 Posts
By way of background, I have been carrying the 1911 as a LEO and competing with one since 1981, so I have a little idea about these things (and have spent far too much money getting my 1911s built by top-notch gunsmiths, too !) The first 1911 I owned with a BT had the Safari Arms, as it was the first commercial one readily available. Since then, I have had guns with S&A, Wilson, CMC, Brown, Kings, and the Novak Answer, so I do have a decent basis of comparison.
Neat story and all, but if one reads what the OP said in subsequent posts, it's really moot. You are for some reason talking about a "theoretical" difference when he in fact said he felt a difference. No amount of background is going to change that.

I'm going to say that through experience and ownership, that he's right. There is a difference.

Since his question was about doing this work on an gun already fitted for one of the better BTs out there (and no, they did not pay me to write this - they don't even know me), the question of whether it can be done - clearly can be - vs. whether it should be done, is more the crux of the matter. In the end, is is the OP's gun. More power to him, but he might be better off building a gun the way he wanted from the start, instead of re-spending money.
First let me say that Wilson has one of the better GSs out there, BUT many of the best customs I see have something along the lines of an EB. Individuals that shoot 1911s a good amount at the range, in classes, or in competition, seem to eventually gravitate towards a higher hold by my experiences.

The last statement confuses me and makes me wonder how much custom experience you have. It's really not a big deal to weld up the tangs, fit the GS, and refinish. Sure it's going to cost a bit..... but to me it's nuts to suggest spending god knows how much building a new custom 1911 in lieu of getting the GS you want on a perfectly good platform.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Your Wilson has a lifetime warranty on it until you have someone else do that. If a Wilson would handle the task for you then your warrantee would stay intact and I would be 100% for it at that point.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts