1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on using an Ed Brown jig to fit a different grip safety to my Colt Defender. My question, is there anything I should know or consider before doing this because this is an alloy frame gun? I am assuming it would turn out just as if I was doing stainless, no type of refinishing needed, correct?

·
Registered
339 Posts
That will depend on which grip safety you choose. The Ed Brown safety will remove quite a bit of material and will leave raw aluminum showing. To do the job right, the frame should be refinished. If you want to avoid that, the S&A grip safety doesn't take off as much material, and you can often get away with not refinishing the frame. On the flip side, it doesn't give you as high a grip as the Brown does. If you want to avoid removing any material at all, Wilson makes a drop-in grip safety that actually works pretty well on the Defender. If you do a search on "Defender" and member "DHart", you will find photos of his Defender with a Wilson grip safety.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,222 Posts
The Defender frame is, I think, nickel plated then coated with teflon; fitting a safety would definitely require refinishing, unless you didn't mind the rear of the frame non-matching. I'll second the Wilson drop-in. 90% of what you want a beavertail for, with 10% of the work.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I'll third the idea of Wilson's drop-in GS. Here's mine. With MINIMAL fitting, it looks almost as good as anything else out there - with WAY less work.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I have a Colt Defender that I carry and sometimes shoot in IDPA bug matches and really have a problem get a quick/good grip with the dropped style/duck bill style grip safety on it. My hand just doesn't settle in right and I have to do some repositioning, not a good thing on the clock in a match and definitly a bad thing when under an attack. Really didn't realize the problem I was having on this carry gun until I started to use it in IDPA bug gun matches, so another plus for IDPA and carry weapons.
So I guess the votes go for a Wilson drop in grip safety, very little fitting and all the positives that I am looking for.

Still open for comment, but if the opinions stay the same, I will order a new grip safety instead of fitting one of the two I have.

Thanx again..........

·
Registered
879 Posts
Just for the need to refinish that gun, I'd try a drop in grip safety first. I just finished fitting a King's high grip on my Oacp and I can't imagine not refinishing it. There was a lot of bare metal from the blending.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I fitted a .250 Wilson grip safety on my Defender using their jig. The metal removes easily, but it cost me an additional $85 to have the frame hard chromed. I put the drop-in Wilson on my Delta Elite and it feels great. There is a small space where the beaver tail meets the frame, but it looks good. If I had to do it again I would go with the drop-in for the Defender.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Drop in safety

I would definatly use a Wilson drop in on your defender. I would be a little leary of removing metal from a light weight frame. I put Wlison drop in grip safetys on all my colts. A few strokes of a file on the tang that engages the back of the trigger bar to fit was all was needed on my 80 series colts. My new Defender will get the same treatment soon.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did end up ordering a Wilson drop-in, but had to remove a lot more metal from the trigger tang than I thought I should have. When I first installed it in the bare frame, it would hardly move at all, the front of the tang was hitting on the frame so it couldn't pivot. In the end it turned out just fine, just need to get to the range to do some final testing.

Thanks guys for the Wilson drop in suggestion, it got done what I wanted done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts