1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read conflicting information, and am hoping to get some clarification.

I understand that the SA loaded, which comes with a springfield beavertail, has a "wilson radius" cut on it. (springfield's with no beavertail use .220 jigs)

However, I have read that even a wilson bulletproof, with the wilson radius, will leave a gap at the top of the grip safety. Apparently, even though it's a "wilson radius", it is overcut quite a bit at the factory.

It seems as though the only solution for a well-fit GS on a SA loaded is to have the tangs welded.

Is this accurate? My loaded is from 2007, if it matters. The SA grip safety has a lot of play, and I've already fitted a new thumb safety but am trying to get a more blended and finished look.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
You're right . The Springfield's with the factory Beavertail have to have material added to the tangs. I've got two of my own to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that stinks!

Mine has .03" of a gap at the top of the tang, quite a bit. Enough to where it's noticeable. I might try ordering a wilson, just to give it a try.

It's a stainless gun.. Is it possible to weld in material without it being an obvious transition?

Is this something the springfield shop can do?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought one of the Wilson stainless Beavertails . It was their most expensive one. It still has quite a gap . I will Tig weld the tangs and if I can't get the match I want it will be Cerakoted..

·
Premium Member
14,611 Posts
I bought one of the Wilson stainless Beavertails . It was their most expensive one. It still has quite a gap . I will Tig weld the tangs and if I can't get the match I want it will be Cerakoted..
It should match and be unnoticeable. I would suggest using ER410 rod.

LOG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Log,thanks for the info on the ER410 filler rod. That sounds promising. I will be using a Miller Dynasty 200 Dx. I love that welder...Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The loaded is such a common pistol, I'm surprised no one has made an oversized wilson-cut just for those of us with this issue.

Would it make more sense to add material to the grip safety, rather than the frame?

I'm going to reach out to SA and see what they say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts