1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the Smiths: Have noticed that swapping in/out various 1911 magazine catches is not a "plug in" operation. Many catches, even top tier expensive ones, appear to require some type of fitting - if you just install the spring and lock and plug them into the receiver, you can get a "crunchy" or "sticky" fit.

Could be wrong but the issue seems to involve the fit between the lock and the catch (as opposed to between the catch and the receiver).

Anybody have any tips out there for "fitting" the catch lock, or a favorite brand of catch lock that is cleaner than the others? (Most of the catch locks I have purchased from different name brand vendors appear remarkably similar).

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

Tim

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
The grittiness I've felt also comes from the tunnel inside the mag catch. I'd suggest polishing what you can... May not be the best method but try putting some red rouge on the mag catch spring then assemble and work the mag catch a hundred zillion times :scratch: or is it twenty gazzillion :scratch:

Either way, it's probably the tunnel has heavy machine marks. The last one I bought was a Caspian and it's pretty smooth to operate :cool: .

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
...since I was fitting my stainless McCormick Tactical this morning at 3:40...

I polished the body with 240 grit; perfect.

Ed Brown sells mag release spring kits; check w/ Brownells.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts