1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fitting an Ed Brown Memory Groove Grip Safety on a Springfield Mil-Spec. I've got it to where it will fit nicely into the newly filed radius, but it seems to bind slightly when contacting the frame (where the MSH area is). I didn't find anything at blindhogg's site, but was wondering if there needs to be any filing along the beavertail's edges to make the contact smoother? Does the beavertail's width come a little oversized to fit different frames, or am I missing something in the fitting process?

·
Registered
377 Posts
BT

My Colt had the same issue when I installed my Brown BT. I took the cratex extra-fine point and polished both the side of the BT and the edge inside the frame where it was contacting. I went very, very, very slow here b/c any screw up will cause it to look very ugly. You want the lines between the BT and the frame to look symmetrical here, so eyeball it and take metal off to even it up, but again, go very slow. Emory cloth will probably work just as well (X-Fine). Do a few strokes, then reassemble and test it out. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Coat the tangs of the frame & sides of the beavertail with black magic marker, reinstall and work together a few times.
Remove the safety, and you will see high spots where the magic marker has rubbed off. If you dress down the high spots (slowly) and repeat the process, you will see that the high spots have probably shifted. Just keep doing this , it is a slow process, but necessary for perfect fit and function.

Hope this helps!
Byrd

·
Registered
641 Posts
Fitting the sides of a new beavertail to a frame is common. Also many times I have seen the top of a mainspring housing bind on the bottom of a Beavertail, so dressing down either the top of the MS housing or the bottom of the BT slightly is not uncommon. As Byrd says use a Black marker to find where you are having bind, I buy black markers in packs of 10 and use them all the time.
Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts