1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay. i bought a wilson match bushing for my commander just to tinker with. i sanded it to get it to fit. it is still extremly tight and requires a wrench to install/remove. i also noticed that the face of it is about a centimeter or so off of the face of the slide. i know my original bushing fit right snug up against it. also, the slide gets hung up every so often when i rack it back and forth repeatedly.what areas need to be sanded in order for it to fit better? i haven't fired it yet....trying to avoid ruining my gun. i would like to do this w/o taking it to a smith. thanks a bunch.

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Commanders take a short bushing. If you have purchased a match commander bushing, I am amazed because I always had to convert mine from government to commander length. Put the original bushing back in this gun before you shoot it.You have a bad fit and the wrong size bushing. Did you compare the new part to the one you took out? Commanders really don't need match bushings. They are belly guns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dave is correct. You'd be better off putting the old bushing back in.

The oversized Commander bushings I've seen have a wider bearing area where the barrel contacts the bushing. This would require a good deal of relieving at the bottom front and top rear of the bushing to ensure that the barrel would go into and out of battery smoothly.

A professional gunsmith could fit the bushing for you. However, as much as I love to file, grind, polish and tinker, I've found that most box stock pistols will shoot far more accurately than I ever will. You don't want sacrfice reliability in a quest for accuracy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you're right. i will swap the two bushings and stick with the original. thanks for helping me before i shot it. i may send it in for a new match bbl/bushing combo. so unitl then, i'll just live with what i've got. thanks again.

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts