1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a "bucket-0-parts" series 70 Colt.
It appears to have been a amateur gunsmiths wet dream.

The barrel was throated, more accurately over throated.
I scrapped the barrel, and dropped in a Storm Lake model.

The slide catches slightly just before it goes into lockup. Very slight forward pressure or even a slight shake of the pistol is enough for the slide to move into lockup.

My question is, is this the likely the lower lugs comeing up on the slide stop pin?

After hand cycling a few times it seems to be less and less resistance. If I cycle it normally it doesn't stop. If I cycle it slowly by hand I can make the slide hang up as mentioned.

additional info:
I bought this pistol reasonably, I think, I hope. I new going in some of the small parts and barrel would need replacements.

It had replacement sights, botched or half hearted, not really sure. I installed Millet MarkII's as an easy fix.

The mag catch was drilled and tapped, and with button included.
I had a complete mag catch assembly on hand. Easy fix.

I swapped out the short trigger for an old used, long, King's

I added a new wolf recoil spring and FP spring, already on hand.

I adjusted the extractor.

The only thing that really concerned(s) me was the fact that some mental midget modified the frame ramp.

I was able to very carefully move the lower ,center, of the barrel ramp/throat forward enough to allow my favorite HP's to feed as well as FMJ's. Maybe reshape is a better term. I did not change the brass supporting areas as in the original barrel. I tested this modification by cycling inert dummies by hand from a magazine.

It looks sort of like the new colt ramp/throat pictured on another thread, only not as drastic. Seems to be ok.

What do ya'll think.

I am in hopes of having saved this pistol.
I realize that at this point this pistol is a shooter grade, hopefully.
I new that going into this deal and I paid accordingly.
This pistol isn't anything special but .......

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Geez....! Guys all I was interested in was advice and opinions not definitive answers. 107 views and no responses.....thanks!

second thoughts?

·
Registered
94 Posts
What about upper lug engagement? Have you checked to see if you need to relieve metal there? You simply may have to chamfer the lugs ever so slightly, there might be some initial hang-up that is overcome by that slight forward pressure...just thinking out loud here...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to find that the link is slightly long, causing the hitch in function. Measure the link holes edge to edge and then pick another that's .002 - .003" smaller. Install it on the barrel, then try the slide stop pin in it and swing it through it's arc. If it still swings through the normal arc of travel, then put it in the gun and hand cycle. If the hitch is gone, your done.
Good Luck

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Now I have something to work with,
I have accomplished several other mods nicely on some other 1911's but this is my first non GI spec barrel swap.

Thanks again....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wasn't sure about the link, I still have trouble understanding its relationship to lock-up. :scratch: :grumble:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts