1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing an Ed Brown 2-piece magwell on my STI Trojan. There is a slight gap between the magwell and the bottom of the frame. I'm guessing it won't be very noticeable once the grips are on, but I'd like to tighten it up some if possible. I'm thinking since it's a two piece maybe I can just remove the chute and file down the bottom of MSH to effectively shorten it? Has anyone done this? Any other tips? Trying to avoid any welding or refinishing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't mess with the frame, file on the magwell. I would order a Wilson and see if it fits any better and send one back. JMHO

·
Registered
488 Posts
Shortening the msh will make your gap larger. When the mainspring is under compression it’s pushing everything out. It’s pretty hard to find magwell msh that fit perfectly, but I would recommend Stan Chen’s SI single piece magwell msh.

They fit pretty tight and even if there is a tiny gap that you can see light through or a little play, everything should tighten up once the sear spring is in and it’s all together. Your grips will cover the gap unless it’s huge. Try not to stress out over things until it’s all put together. IMO 2-piece magwells aren’t the way to go. Ed Brown’s magwell msh are also decent. I haven’t tried WC’s msh yet, but Stan Chen’s are basically 99.99999% consistent between his parts.

·
Premium Member
20,254 Posts
Another recommendation for Chen's SI magwell. I have two, they slid right onto a Dan Wesson Valor and a Guncrafter NN. Order one and sell your Brown.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up filing down the bottom of the MSH some. Its seems much better now. The MSH is now pretty much flush with the bottom of the frame. With the chute bolted on I have about a .003 gap. It was .014 when I started. I think I'm going to call it good.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
You're on the right track Mike. Also, the nub on the magwell portion itself may start to bottom out in the recess in the bottom of the housing. Measure the depth of the recess and compare it to the nub to make sure.

There are surely more tricks. The Ed Brown is one of the easiest to fit this way because it gives you options. You can actually remove the shoe and work on it. That's definitely a plus. I doubt another magwell will fit your frame any better. Just my 2 cents from fitting hundreds of magwells on assorted brands of frames.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Yes, I did have to file down the nub some to get the chute to fit flush again. I'm actually glad I went with the two piece now. A one-piece probably would have left me with a gap with no easy way to fix it. I also had to peen the rails on the EB, but it is perfectly fit now with no gap and no looseness.

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
I have two Brown two piece magwells. Both magwell “shoes” (excellent desciptor, AC) exhibit too much lateral (rotational) movement when mounted.

·
Premium Member
11,365 Posts
I have two Brown two piece magwells. Both magwell “shoes” (excellent desciptor, AC) exhibit too much lateral (rotational) movement when mounted.
I've seen that on several that were on other folks guns. Never installed one myself and was not able to examine those closely, so I have no personal experience with them. I was/am curious as to the cause.

·
Premium Member
20,254 Posts
Exactly why I prefer a one-piece magwell like Chen's.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
The rotational play is addressed by peening the rails in 2 or 3 spots, and carefully hand filing to fit.
First one side, then the other.

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
I just happened on a deal with two NIW at a generous offer. I like the unit except for that one issue. The nub is undersized relative to the attendant cut out in the housing. I tried peening/center punching one to displace some metal. Didn’t do so well but got most of play out. My concern was blending the funnel to the frame’s magwell in a consistent position. Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
The rotational play is between the funnel and the housing. I use the peen and file on the rails when needed...which is usually. I must say I like rail fits of the Brown housings.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW, the the nub on my funnel was a very snug fit to the MSH, I actually had to tighten down the screw to get the funnel to draw fully into the MSH. It had virtually no rotation, and lines up perfectly with my magwell opening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts