1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to take the plunge. I'm going to fit a new frame to my SA Compact slide. Since it's my first, I thought about using a Foster frame, which I can get fairly cheap, a local gunstore has one for $100.00. I don't want to get a really expensive frame and risk screwing up a big buck frame. Can anyone recommend a website that'll give me enough information to get started? Any advice? I can walk & chew gum at the same time, I've done some pretty decent filework in my day, I do my own beavertails, trigger work, etc. I know to take it slow, measure three times before picking up the file once, and have pretty decent common sense. Or should I be looking for a video that will help me with the details?

Bob

·
Registered
367 Posts
Look here http://www.sightm1911.com/ click on the "search" on the left of the screen, and type USAMTU . it is a copy of the manual that the military armorers used for the national match guns. It has a prety in depth step by step instructions. To do it "right" you will need to get a set of brass bars milled to specific thicknesses. This will be explained in the text. Basically, it is to ensure that the rail is peened evenly. I would suggest reading the manual first, then measure wheree they tell you to, and order only the size bars you need. They are not cheap, and you will probably not want to invest in a full set right away.:rock:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
carmoney said:
Go grab that Foster frame before it's gone......they're made by Caspian!
Yeah, a Caspian "second". I'm not wild about the idea, but I don't want to use a good frame to practice on. This one should be "adequate". Once I know what I'm doing, I'll probably sell the Foster and get a good frame.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I think that's backwards.

The reason I think that is because it's what I did- inexpensive parts first, practice, "real" parts later.

It was a mistake.

The problem is that when you don't know what you're doing, you don't know if it's the part or your work.

It's not an easy task in the first place, and second tier parts make it harder.

It takes more skill to make cheap parts work than it does to make good, in spec parts work.

There is a REASON that Caspian rejected that frame.

Whatever that reason is, it means that it will take more skill than you will have on your first project to make it work, because you won't know what's wrong if it doesn't work.

When you start with the best, the chances of success go way up, simply because the parts are in spec.

Once you know what you're doing, you may want to start "saving" money, although I still think it's false economy.

This isn't about money.

If it is, go out and buy the highest end, most expensive, best custom work from a nationaly known smith, and you will save money over doing it yourself.

You only build a weapon when it isn't about money.

You're going to spend more in gunsmithing tools than you are on parts.

It isn't about money. It's going to cost more than a custom.

And it's going to be worth it. :cool:

·
Registered
149 Posts
it just takes guts

buy the cheap frame take your time work the rails slow with fine files and stones till its almost there and use 600 grit lapping compound tap it on with a small rubber hammer its not that hard and you dont need $50 tools from brownells good luck

·
Registered
192 Posts
Foster Frame

I agree, that to start with bad parts increases the problems, and will only make completing your project more difficult.

Yes, at our skill level (home tinkerer), it may not be feasible to use the Foster, depending on the problem, however, one should consider purchasing it, if only for instructional purposes. The one part that I couldn't find a cheap one to learn on was the frame. I had do all my modifications on a good frames, and with every modification being a first, risked scrapping it with each one. Fitting rails, beavertail, bobtail, and filing mag well, it was very stressful.

Don't be afraid of Foster frames, yes they're Caspian seconds, mostly due to cosmetic reasons, according to George Smith. Just look it over good and see if you can spot the problems. Consider it a loss and practice on it, while you wait for a good frame. $100.00 is not so much, when you consider the experience you could get out of that frame, even if you never make it functional.

Good luck, I'm now on my 5th frame up full build. Yes, It is addictive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.