1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fitting a strong side Ed Brown safety on a Colt Series 70 Government Model and have run into a problem. When inserted in the frame, the safety will not rotate down far enough for the detent on the safety to line up with the plunger. Also the slide just barely clears the top of the safety.

I have the frame disassembled with only the thumb safety on the gun. The safety lug appears wide enough and fits around the frame insert as I turn the safety "off". Not sure what to do at this point, any suggestions on how I fix this?

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Take the grip safety, sear, disco, everything out of the frame. Put the TS in, and look up into the back of the gun (which you can do since the GS is out). Push down on the TS and observe the lug. You'll probably see where the back, bottom of the TS lug (the area the yellow arrow is pointing to - the slot at the junction of the lug and the main TS body) is binding on the frame and keeping the TS from being pushed down all the way to off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big Jon,

I disassembled the frame and only the thumb safety is on. When in the "off" position I try to pull safety out but it won't come out. So it appears the lug is at least partially engaging the frame. Can't tell if lug cut is too narrow or shallow for full frame engagement.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
The safety's not supposed to come out when it's in the off position. It comes off when the safety's half way between off and on. ???

P.S. - And you're saying now that the TS CAN go all the way down to the off position???

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Wait a minute - is this what you're saying?

1. With all the guts out of the gun except the TS, the TS will insert, and then go all the way down to the off position.

2. With the guts in the gun, the safety will go all the way in, but now it WON'T rotate all the way to the off position.

Are both of those statements correct?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BigJon,

Thank you for helping and your patience. I am trying to take a few pictures to illustrate what is happening.

The safety is all the way in the frame and appears to be just barely short of being fully "off".

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
The safety is all the way in the frame and appears to be just barely short of being fully "off".
This doesn't tell me whether the guts are currently in the gun or not, so it doesn't help. Instead of trying to take photos, just stay with me. I keep trying to get you to answer two simple questions (1 and 2). You answered that 2 is correct. What about 1? Is that correct?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1. With all the guts out of the gun except the TS, the TS will insert, and then go all the way down to the off position.

The first part of one is correct..the ts will insert...the second part is incorrect..it will not go all the way down to the off position.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
The key thing I missed is that with the guts out of the gun, the TS will not go to the off position. If that's the case, then go back to post number 2. It's likely binding in the area shown on the photo at the yellow arrow.

Check the following thread (first post and a half) to see the critical matter of fitting the TS to the sear: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=145628

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
Difference in going all the way off with the guts out or in may be the heads of the hammer & sear pins? They sometimes stand a little proud of the frame.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Yea, I thought of that, but he said that the TS is going in all the way. And, he said that it won't turn down with all the parts out of the gun, and that would include the hammer and sear pins.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BigJon,

In re-reading the two questions you asked, I misread question two. I have not tried to fit the safety with the guts in the gun so I can't tell you the answer to question #2. Sorry for getting this wrong.

When I re-read my posts I don't see where I stated the safety has been modified. It hasn't been touched. I simply dissassembled the frame and put the thumb safety in. It appeared not rotate all the way to the off position so I tried to put the slide on and it wouldn't clear the top of the thumb safety. In the whopping three times I have fit thumb safeties, I haven't run into this problem before so I thought I'd ask for help.

I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Hey, looks like the "misread" bug bit us both. If the guts are out of the gun (including the sear and hammer pins) and the TS will install all the way in but won't turn all the way down to the off position (am guessing it'll move down a little, but not all the way), then check for binding as per post 2 and the photo in post 2. I bet you'll find it binding there. Relieve it enough to go all the way down. You'll be able to see it if you observe the lug up through the back where the GS would be.

P.S. - You didn't say that you had modified it. That was my conclusion based on the assumption that it would even go all the way in with the sear in the gun (which we now know wasn't the case). An unmodified Brown lug wouldn't even enter the gun with the sear installed.

The reason the slide won't clear is that the TS isn't going down all the way. Once you get it to go down all the way then the slide will probably clear just fine.

Best,
Jon

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
... I simply dissassembled the frame and put the thumb safety in. It appeared not rotate all the way to the off position so I tried to put the slide on and it wouldn't clear the top of the thumb safety...
You need a dial caliper, set of feeler gauges, a couple small safe side files, sandpaper, and some strong magnification. Measure your frame thickness at the safety holes, look for burrs/roughness, measure the slot in the safety with the feeler gauges, check that it is consistent all the way down with no artifacts/lumps/bumps from casting, file and/or sand as needed to allow minimal clearance side to side and sufficient depth of engagement.
Before you start all of that, first thing is to check that the pin is perpendicular to the safety shield. Many of them come out of the bag with a less than/greater than 90 degree angle which can deal you fits trying to get it to fit/work properly. They can be straightened, but I sweat every time I do that. I also file/stone any irregularities off the back of the shield to minimize marking of the frame over time. I like my hammer/sear pins a little proud of the frame to help prevent that. Check the radius at the root of the safety pin. Gotta be there. And check the pin hole to see how far off the side of the frame it holds the safety. Again, I like it to be just clear of the frame to prevent marking. I will add a tiny chamfer to the hole if needed.

Jon, your pis in post 2 are not showing for me.... :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts