1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to fit an Ed Brown thumb safety on my Springfield 9mm and my Kimber Ultra Elite- any anticipated problems doing it myself? What do I check to see if it fits correctly or needs "adjusted"? I'm certainly not a professional smith but I like to do the work myself if I can without "butchering" the gun or the parts. Thanks, Atilla

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,011 Posts
The part is oversize as purchased, and must be fitted to the individual gun. If you assemble your gun without the grip safety, you can observe how the factory safety works, and inspection will show you where the fitting has to be done. The is a certain amount of art involved in getting a good feel in addition to proper function. It is no more expensive to have the work done by a pro, than to buy a new part if you get it wrong.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is a job you can do yourself, if, you can use hand tools and be patient. When you brake the gun down take some time and learn how the factory safety works (easy to see with B/T out). Remove the safety plunger and spring as it makes it easier for repeated installes of the safety while fitting. When you get the factory safety out look carefully at the angle filed in the engagement area of the safety, follow this angle on the Ed Brown and you should have no problems. Remove small amounts and test repeat untill it works.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, the first one took a while (ambi safety for the 9mm) but it looks really nice and passed all the safety tests in my Ed Brown desk top reference. The second one (single sided for a carry gun) was quicker after I knew where the new safety was oversized- Now just have to try them out at the range a few trips so I can "trust" 'em.
Atilla

1 - 4 of 4 Posts