1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading past threads regarding this topic on the SA loadeds.

I have a few questions for you Loaded owners:

1. Has your rear sight come loose from shooting?

2. If it has come loose, what method did you use to keep that sight tight in the dovetail? Loctite on the allen screw?

3. After #2, has your sight stayed put? How many rounds since then?

I've been reading these forums for sometime now. I bought a stainless Loaded today -- I know the risks involved in this purchase.

I fell in love with this one after handling it because the fit of the gun is just match grade. The slide to frame, and barrel fit is just awesome.

But, I'm aware that the rear sight may come loose. I bought this gun with the knowledge that some things may need to be fixed, and I'm willing to do that.

With the many guns I've bought in 13 years, and the advance of the internet, I've realized that even $1500.00 guns may have issues that need to be fixed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would like to know what others have done also. I have a blued loaded and on the first outing my groups kept shifting. When I was cleaning it, I noticed the rear sight was loose. I put blue loctite on the allen screw and tightened the screw. I haven't fired it since then, so I don't know if this is a temporary or a permanent fix.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Remove the rear sight, and place the slide in a padded vise. Using a sharp punch and hammer, raise a few dimples in the dovetail. You may find that the sight will not go back in after doing this, so with a small needle file polish the dimples until the sight will go back in using a brass punch and small hammer.

You may then adjust as necessary and the sight will stay put.

Hope this helps

Byrd

·
Registered
949 Posts
Loose sights?????

I too have peened dovetails to tighten the fit. Works good! However, not on any Springfield’s. I have just the opposite problem on my UC. It came with an allen screw from the factory and it takes about all I can do to get the sight to move.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The rear sight never came loose on my SA guns after several thousands of rounds fired. The little allen screw is a different story, but got it stay put with a drop of a blue locktite. As a side note, the sights could be drifted with a minimum effort, but will stay in place with no problem at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts