1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey this is sort of a two parter here...does anyone know if carrying a fixed blade is allowed in Texas? and if so, what are the conditions (length, width...etc).

and i am considering about buying a merc worx fixed blade, i didn't want to buy it if as soon as i step out my door carrying i would be breaking the law. and by the way, they are pricey, but are they worth it? anyone with any experience with them?

· Premium Member
5,963 Posts
benzslrpee said:
hey this is sort of a two parter here...does anyone know if carrying a fixed blade is allowed in Texas? and if so, what are the conditions (length, width...etc).
I think you'll find it's more acceptable to carry it in a sheath. When so carried, (Bandera, Suburban San Antonio) I have seen blades up to about 6" appear relatively unobtrusive in civvies. I don't think it would be as widely acceptable in Northern DFW. It may not be against the law, but it does look a little wierd in the business district (a sea of Mercedes and Bimmers.)

· Registered
933 Posts
Don't exceed 5 1/2 " and you're good to go. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd cut and paste the statute, but there you are. Come to think of it, if you weren't so lazy, you could hit the "search" button here and find it, as this question has been asked before (and more than once)! :D

Just noticed you're new here, so welcome. Feel free to disregard my curmudgeonly mini-rant. ;)

Okay, that's too many smilies for such a short post.

· Registered
1,729 Posts
It's easy

In Texas there is no law aganst a fixed or folding carry. The main point is that the blade may noit exceed 5 1/2 inches. If it does it is illegal, be it fixed or folding. Therefore you can, (and I have seen people) wear a large fixed blade on their person. You may have some rookie ask to measure it, but as long as it is 5 and 1/2 or less you are fine.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whoa...

thanks for the legal info guys but i'm slightly bothered by my second question...apparently mercworx isn't too...well liked (and i think that's and understatment) by a lot of people.

so far doing google searches and some blade forum searches all i came up with are 1. stolen designs 2. identity of makers are sketchy 3. fake marketing campaign...anything else that had a detail description were either deleted or locked or something.

...ironically there aren't, if any, reviews of people who have actually used them. are they a legit company and they secretly make their knives in China or something like that? cause i'm looking to get the Orion which i think looks kinda neat...i think there's a moderator on this forum (Shane...or something similar) said these guys were also known as jercworx. believe it or not i tried googling that term and nothing came up.

if anyone has the background info on why these guys are so hated and whether or not they crank out a decent knife please let me know (and please be at least somewhat detailed with a why, where and when. you can not believe how many "trust me, they are not worth it" type of replies when i was doing the readings! ugh that doesn't explain a whole lot)...while i'm not getting the blade at the price listed on their website ($325 geez!) i'd still like to do some background research before plopping my money down on something i most likely will use daily.

oh yeah...just to specify judging from past posts, i am in no way endorsing their product, company or marketing strategy. neither am i an employee, relative/friend of an employee or in any way associated with the company...so err...don't yell at me

· Registered
933 Posts
If you go to Bladeforums and use the search function, you'll get numerous pages of discussion on Mercworx. I don't own one, have seen very few, but have liked the ones I've handled. My opinion on them is neutral and really for those reasons. Read up on some of the forums and go from there-there's plenty of info around on those knives. Good luck. :cool:

· Registered
873 Posts
ValleyBoy said:
In Texas there is no law aganst a fixed or folding carry. The main point is that the blade may noit exceed 5 1/2 inches. If it does it is illegal, be it fixed or folding. Therefore you can, (and I have seen people) wear a large fixed blade on their person. You may have some rookie ask to measure it, but as long as it is 5 and 1/2 or less you are fine.

Not necessarily true; In San Antonio it is illegal to carry a lock blade of any type. Some cities impose additional laws pertaining to knives. General Texas knife code;

TEXAS - HEALTH, SAFETY & MORALS

- 46.01. DEFINITIONS.

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.

(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.

(11) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
(A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or
(B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

· Registered
27 Posts
knives in tex

You should be able to find penal code 46 on the net. Its pretty plain about knives and kinda vague on guns.

If the city ordnance prohibiting lock blade carry in San Antonio were fully enforced 90% of the male population would be arrested daily.

I've carried a balisong for thirty years in and around San Antonio and never had a problem.

CCW makes no difference where knives are concerned as far as I can tell.

· Registered
540 Posts
In Texas we have a CHL--Concealed Handgun License, not, unfortunately, a Concealed Weapon License. So, it only allows for concealed carry of a handgun of the qualified type and not for automatic knives or other otherwise illegal weapons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.