1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...preferably with tritium. Anyone know where I can get my hands on anything like that? I have a slide that has Bo-mar adjustable sights on it, but I want to use it for tactical training, not target shooting, so I'd want no-snag night sights, but I don't want to have to get the slide welded and re-cut. Any suggestions?

------------------
GO ARMY!!!
BEAT NAVY!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
USMA Pistol,

Before you do anything drastic to your slide, I'd strongly suggest you contact Richard Heinie. Rumor has it he may be developing just such a fixed sight.

Tim

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I contacted Richard a couple months ago about this same question - the answer was "no" at that time. Hopefully things have changed.

If you do contact Richard about this, please post his response here, as I am still interested in this option as well. (No sense both of us bothering the man).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Personally, in all the draws from a so called "tactical" holster I've done with my old Limited gun(admitedly very low compared to the number of presentations some have done) I never had the Bo-Mars snag, scrape me yes, but never snag(but if your in a truly "tactical" mindset, you wouldn't notice
) I think the low-profile sight idea has been way overplayed...Hienes and Novaks stick up the same amount, and the only thing more prone to snag on a Bomar is the blade's corners, which can be eliminated by doing the dog ears.

Just one more point...wouldn't tactical training also be target shooting?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
PK, I think that the key word here is "fixed" sights to fit the Bomar cut. Some of us are looking for a more rugged and durable alternative to the Bomar style adjustable sights. The "low mount" is a secondary concern. It would simply be nice to have a fixed sight alternative, once the slide has been cut in the Bomar configuration.

·
Super Moderator
13,606 Posts
http://www.heinie.com/whatsnu.html

All right stop everything. Richard Heinie is coming to your rescue. He's had many request for a fixed sight replacement for the Kimber and Bomar adjustables. Here it is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thanks for the info Ricky T. I went to the Heinie website a few days back, but didn't catch that...must've just been put on the website in the past couple days. I also tried calling Mr. Heinie a few minutes ago, but he must have already closed up shop for the day.

The primary reason for me wanting the lo-profile sights is not because the Bomar's snag (I use a Safariland 6004 tactical leg-drop holster, the sights don't have a lot to snag on), but because constantly racking the slide during tactical drills is a painful experience for my hand with the Bo-mars on. When I said target shooting, I was more referring to hardball, bullseye matches, not IDPA-type training.

I can only hope that the Heinie sights will be cheaper than actually having my slide recut for Novak lo-mounts.

·
Super Moderator
13,606 Posts
USMA:
YOu're welcome. I understand exactly your reason for wanting the fixed sight. I think the sight is probably a whole lot cheaper than having your slide weldup and then recut for a Novak. Talk to Sara at Heinie's, she can help you out. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts