1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How well regulated are Kimber's fixed sights? Do they shoot to point of aim, or have there been problems with elevation. Also, do you find that different grain bullets make a substantial difference (185 vs. 200 vs. 230)? I know windage is supposed to be adjustable, but I've read it's really difficult to move the fixed sight in its dovetail. I'm trying to decide between a Team Match II (adjustable sights - which I would probably change to Kimber's adjustable night sights) and a Gold Combat Stainless (fixed night sights). I plan on using it for shooting at the range, but I also want it to be usable for defensive purposes. I know that fixed sights are much better for a defensive pistol (more durable, more snag-free, etc.), but I don't want to have problems with point of impact. Can anyone help me out with some suggestions or personal experiences?

·
Registered
582 Posts
BJG: I own five Kimbers. I have shot more than fifty different Kimbers. I have Never moved the sights on any of them. I've read the horror stories, But I've never seen a Kimber that was anything but dead on. They are the most accurate 45's I've ever shot... I have shot Colts. S.A. and Wilson's...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I also own five Kimbers, only one shot low. That one was an early manufactured Custom Compact. It shot 8" low at 7 yards. That is significant. What makes it worse is that I shoot 6 O'Clock.

I was having the trigger and front sight replaced anyway. Unfortunately, the new front sight is dead on for POI, but low for a 6 O'Clock hold. I can live with it for now.

Personally, I prefer adjustables on the full size.

Dobe

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What about the durability of Kimber's adjustable sight? Any problems with them breaking easily? Also, any thoughts about the two Kimber models I'm considering?

·
Registered
194 Posts
BJG,
I haven't much experience with either of the models that you mentioned as I have shot a few of each, I do not own either. Both are fine handguns in my oppinion. If I could afford either, it would be the Series I Gold Combat that I keep admiring in my local town.

On adjustable:
Sites run in fads. Now it is fixed. People carry fixed because they are solid, easy for the eyes to pick up on, and snag resistant.

When revolvers were king, it was adjustables. People carried adjustables because they were solid, easy for the eyes to pick up on, and sang resistant (good quality types).

Modern adjustables are great devices. I find them easier to shoot, and more fun, as I can change impact with bullet choice. It makes a difference. Also, everybody shoots just a little different from the next guy, and from the guy who sighted in your pistol at the factory, even if it were a standard setting.

Dobe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dobe, where is that Gold Combat series I located? Is it new? I was initially thinking of the current series II model, but it would be nice to get a series I in new or like new condition instead.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Dobe, if you're not gonna buy it you could at least let me give it a good home. :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
All four Kimbers that I have owned, all shot perfectly to point of aim...the front sight posts on all of mine have been .150", and all have been fired, using various 230gr. lead and jacketed configurations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts