1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VBOB Saga: The thumb safety was just too damn sharp and hurt to shoot with a high grip (got the scar to prove it) to the point that I didn't want to deal with it and almost sold it. I'm ticked that I had to take a dremel to any part of a $1700 pistol to make it what it should be. BUT, now that I did, it's probably a keeper. It's truly amazing what a difference 1/32-1/16 of an inch can make in this area. Wish I'd have taken a "before" photo, but those that know what I'm talking about will know exactly what I mean. I'll probably send it back to Keith for Duty Coating and put the saga of my VBob's sharp safety to rest. NOW, it's something I can actually USE. :rock:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Definitely know/understand the problem. I've had this with Colt. Surprised to see it on a DW. Only one I've owned, an ECO, doesn't have it. My preferred solution, if I want to keep the stock safety, is to do what you did and refinish with bake on Brownell's.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
You do nice work. Maybe a new professional calling??? Don't get too excited - the new ones come from the factory de-horned. If you were going to send it in for DT, why didn't you let them do it for you? BTW, if you actually do send it in remind them to sand blast the part before the DT so there's no textural difference.

Anyway - it looks terrific and enjoy your new keeper.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You do nice work. Maybe a new professional calling??? Don't get too excited - the new ones come from the factory de-horned. If you were going to send it in for DT, why didn't you let them do it for you? BTW, if you actually do send it in remind them to sand blast the part before the DT so there's no textural difference.

Anyway - it looks terrific and enjoy your new keeper.
LOL! I wish. I will say that in my years of tinkering with various gun parts, I know why some gunsmiths charge what they do....it's tedious work to get it just right. I spent an hour on that grind alone and then another 35 minutes on the front detent to get it polished an smoothed down at the right angle so it snaps on and off crisply.

I almost wish there was something else wrong with it, then I'd have an excuse to send it in to Keith. But that sharp safety was the only issue I had with it, so I finally got the stones to go at it with a dremel. I figure $40 to have it refinished beats that plus $135 shipping any day.

Nice to see that DW listened to their customers and new pistols are coming out of the factory with the proper bevels on the safety though.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
VBOB Saga: The thumb safety was just too damn sharp and hurt to shoot with a high grip (got the scar to prove it) to the point that I didn't want to deal with it and almost sold it. I'm ticked that I had to take a dremel to any part of a $1700 pistol to make it what it should be. BUT, now that I did, it's probably a keeper. It's truly amazing what a difference 1/32-1/16 of an inch can make in this area. Wish I'd have taken a "before" photo, but those that know what I'm talking about will know exactly what I mean. I'll probably send it back to Keith for Duty Coating and put the saga of my VBob's sharp safety to rest. NOW, it's something I can actually USE. :rock:
Here is how it probably looked before you re shaped it.

Good job smoothing it out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that pic CoolE. The differences in feel and aesthetics are fairly profound. Not only does it not hurt to grip it properly, it's now has a buttery smooth engagement/disengagement. How does yours feel? I suppose some can live with it, but with as much as in like to shoot, a pistol HAS to fit and feel right.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
......you might as well dehorn the lever portion of the thumb safety as well while you're at it.

I dehorned and polished the entirety of both the the slide stop and TS (except for the backside and pin) Bead blasted to match the other stainless on the pistol.

FWIW here is the new DW dehorned version of the TS from the DW picture thread.........I like yours! Your dehorning looks more like a Wilson BP part.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thanks for that pic CoolE. The differences in feel and aesthetics are fairly profound. Not only does it not hurt to grip it properly, it's now has a buttery smooth engagement/disengagement. How does yours feel? I suppose some can live with it, but with as much as in like to shoot, a pistol HAS to fit and feel right.
I have two older Valors with the sharp TS and two newer style blended TS and a Custom SS Vbob that was ordered with a blended TS.
When DW gets the newer style in stock I'm gonna order a couple and fit them myself.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
......you might as well dehorn the lever portion of the thumb safety as well while you're at it.

I dehorned and polished the entirety of both the the slide stop and TS (except for the backside and pin) Bead blasted to match the other stainless on the pistol.

FWIW here is the new DW dehorned version of the TS from the DW picture thread.........I like yours! Your dehorning looks more like a Wilson BP part.

I like your valkyrie jimsea. I wondered what it would look like with stainless small parts. I did something similar to my Baer and it turned out very nice. Thanks for sharing those pix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts