1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The web of my hand that is. I've been looking at it and I'm pretty sure it's that the rat tail grip safety is digging into the web of my hand. Feeling and looking at the safety it ends with a very distinct corner on the bottom, which looks to be the culprit. I don't suspect hammer bite currently because the web of my hand doesn't really over lap the safety, just bunches up a little bit behind it. I can't really afford to fit a new beaver tail right now, though I mean to eventually. So I was thinking about trying to remove some material from the bottom of the safety, bring it to more of a gentle curve. In order to be able to afford to do I need to be able to do it myself, I've got a grinder in the garage and can probably dig up a couple of files if I looked. I was just curious if anyone can direct me towards what I need to reshape or what amount of metal to remove. I have a Norinco 1911 that appears to have the original grip safety on it (purchased used).

-Mitchell R. Drews

·
Registered
262 Posts
King's makes a good drop-in grip safety that won't require you to do the kind of frame modifications or refinishing that an Ed Brown type safety would require.

You can get it through brownells here .
Of course, you could probably do the work you are talking about yourself, but it would just take you a while using emery paper, and you would still need to get some cold blue to refinish the part. You might not want to do too much with files from the garage until you have a chance to try them out on some scrap steel. An 8" mill bastard might take off a lot more metal then you think, and it's tough too put it back on once you take it off...

Jared

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
You may not want to exclude the hammer bite right away. Try rounding off the edges of the grip safety first, like you said.

If you are still getting bit at the end of the grip safety tang the hammer may be coming down just enough to slap the skin of your hand. I just built a pistol and used a 1911 shaped grip safety. The hammer was just slapping my hand, not pinching it. Sort of like stinging slap. I bobbed the hammer off just a little. Fixed it. No biting now.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Contrary to the usual idea, the hammer does not "pinch" the hand at all, unless the hand somehow gets way up over the grip safety.

Most folks look at the gun with the hammer in contact with the slide, and look at the books that show the slide gently pushing the hammer down and back, and can't see how the hammer can reach the hand. In fact, the slide kicks the hammer so hard that the hammer loses contact with the slide and keeps on going until it is stopped by the grip safety. If any part of the hand is in the way, it gets smacked by the fast moving hammer. The solution is either a shorter hammer or a longer grip safety. The alternative solution is a case of Band-Aids.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have seen the web of the hand pinched with customers that have large meaty hands; pinched, slapped or whatever the cause, it is a nasty situation. I would seriously consider a high-ride safety to solve the problem. All of the drop-in parts I have seen meant to solve this problem leave large unfilled gaps that are unsightly to my way of thinking. I properly fitted beavertail like that from Wilsons will solve the problem, not leave any gaps and also allow the pistol to set a tad lower in the hand bringing the bore closer to the line of the arm, which is also a good thing. The recoil is spread out over a larger portion of the have thereby lessening the percieved recoil. I rec them to everyone; esp on a carry arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts