1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know I don't have many posts on the boards, but I can assure you I have been soaking up the info presented almost everyday for a while now.
I have a quick question; I own my Grandfather's old Remington Rand on an Ithaca frame and this thing is pristine! The problem is that the hammer falls to half-cock almost everytime you pull the trigger. I have been told that it was probably the sear so I took the thing apart and checked the sear. It felt rather dull.
Should I get it fixed and save the part like a classic Auto or not even worry about internal parts. I like to shoot it every once in a while. Is this a stupid question as I'll never sell the thing? ( He was an officer in WW2, Korea, and Viet Nam so it'll eventually end up belonging to my nephew).
Thanks in advance
Joe

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would acquire a standard type sear (GI) and have it installed and fitted. That should not effect the value of the pistol.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Also might want to replace the recoil spring at some point, basic company armorer kinda stuff.

·
Administrator
72,486 Posts
If the hammer falls to half-cock when the trigger is pulled it could be a number of things. The sear could be bad, or maybe the frame components are improperly assembled. For whatever reason the sear isn't being allowed to move completely out of the way of the hammer hooks as the hammer falls. If there are any non-GI parts in it those would be the first things I'd suspect.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It sounds like the trigger pull is too light and the finger tension is not enough to keep the sear out of the way of the half cock notch.

The cause could be a bad sear or a bad hammer; too light trigger spring tension is a third possibility, but usually will not cause that exact problem. This can come from wear, but usually is the result of someone trying to lighten the trigger pull.

Try replacing the sear first (it's cheaper) and then if that doesn't work replace the hammer. If you have to do that, if possible, find a hammer with the same checkering pattern as the original. Try www.billricca.com for GI parts.

Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys.
This gun, as far as I know, is an arsenal re-work that was probably last fired ( before me) in the 50's. My Grandfather was a transportation officer and I seriously doubt that he had any work done to it at all. It fired perfectly the first time I took it to the range and it went down hill after that! I'm gonna try replacing the sear and springs and keep the old parts just in case.
BTW, I saw some old GI's in East Tx the other day in real crummy condition and I could NOT believe the prices! Mine looks new. I'll never sell it, but I wonder what it's worth........
Thanks,
Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts