1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any Florida departments allowing 1911's? I live and work in south Florida and we only get Glocks. Like them but love 1911's more.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Occoe PD (fairly liberal officer owned weapon policy), Kissimmee PD (SWAT at least issues Sig 1911s last I heard)
(It's been 2-3 years since I heard this so things may have changed)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I'm a big fan of the show COPS , and am surprised to see quite a few different dept officers with 1911's. :rock:

·
Registered
779 Posts
A lot of that is when a Department finds out they are going to be on COPS, they pull out their Bar-B-Q guns to wear that day if allowed. I know I probably would.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1911 and department carry

I own ​ 2 ​​Ki​mber 1911s​ . Both 45 ACPs and a 9 mm Walther P99​. I am a retired NY​ ​trooper. My intention was to qualify with one​ ​of the Kimbers​​ for the HB 218 national concealed carry permit.

​I was surprised to learn, at least in ​the jurisdiction​ I now reside that the 1911 does not pass muster as an appropriate weapon for qualification. The reason being that the written requirement as to weapon specifies that the firearm must be capable of double action.​ Therefore, even if I qualify with the Walther, which is capable of double action, the Kimbers, although of the same "type" being semi-autos, may not ​be considered of the same "type" due to the lack of double action.

​I have no​ dispute with each jurisdiction setting its guidelines, particularly our sheriff. He not only allows retirees to use his range, but supplies a certified range officer and the targets. You won't find that level of accommodation in many places.

This requirement​ is unfortunate as I find​ ​my​ ​ Kimber firearms to be extremely accurate in part​ due​​ to the single action, and would prefer to ​qualify and ​carry one of them under the national permit.​
​ As it now stands I will probably sell them.

I would also assume an active duty officer would not be able to carry a 1911 either on or off duty.

Tom Kennedy
Venice, Fl

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Tom,

Won't they let you qualify with more than one weapon?

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
​I was surprised to learn, at least in ​the jurisdiction​ I now reside that the 1911 does not pass muster as an appropriate weapon for qualification. The reason being that the written requirement as to weapon specifies that the firearm must be capable of double action.​
Is that the case only in your jurisdiction or does it apply to others close by?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I carried a 1911 with Brevard county, department issue back then was a P226. Not sure if they allow it anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts