1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have no idea how to measure muzzle rise between the two. But...

More non-reciprocating mass = easier shot recovery and dampening felt recoil. Is that what you meant to ask?

I think we are talking like a 1.5 - 2oz difference between an uncut bull bbl and flanged. Best bet is to try them yourself - people have different experiences.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Puddi, yes that's what I mean. . . . . but of course I can't really do an A/B comparison-- thus my question.

Which is heavier-- bull or flange?

I guess the question also involves where the weight is located-- the flange being out front making it LIKELY more efficient. BUT I'd love to hear from folks who've shot both. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Flange is heavier than a bull.

In my experience a flange is softer than a bull bbl, but a bull is much closer to a flange than it is to a bushing in felt recoil. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
14,611 Posts
Flange is heavier than a bull.

In my experience a flange is softer than a bull bbl, but a bull is much closer to a flange than it is to a bushing in felt recoil. YMMV.
I've had the same experience shooting FBF's flanged barrel guns versus my bull barrel guns - the flanged is a little softer and recovers a little faster.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Thanks Puddi, yes that's what I mean. . . . . but of course I can't really do an A/B comparison-- thus my question.

Which is heavier-- bull or flange?

I guess the question also involves where the weight is located-- the flange being out front making it LIKELY more efficient. BUT I'd love to hear from folks who've shot both. Thanks.
My thoughts are, it's like splitting hairs at this point. I don't think I'm a good enough shot to really get the most out of either setups, but my experience with it resonates like the above.

We're talking maybe around .05 - .08 seconds faster splits (I think I am remembering correctly when I tried a buddy's out). Remember though, I'm not a very good shot, lol, so YMMV.

I think it's definitely an unfair advantage in the shooting games where a .05 split difference is huge, but I wouldn't call it a crutch for bad fundamentals, you know what I mean? But...

if it means making the .45 ACP more fun to shoot for you (or hotter calibers :p), more power to you, and I think you would like it. Keep in mind it'll make it a little bit more nose heavier - which kind of bugs me during longer range sessions.

I know, I'm a pansy. I find myself favoring the commander sized models more for balance (and smaller calibers too, heh) as I progress as a shooter (gasp* and even plastic and aluminum guns lol).

If you want a taste of what a boat anchor is like, give a FLGR Tungsten guide rod a shot. Those things are heavy. Personally, bull bbls are sexy to me, and they will always have a place in my heart, erm, collection.

·
Registered
845 Posts
wouldnt a full length/heavier dustcover accomplish the same thing? what advantage is there to the flange besides weight?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Owning both a regular barrel and a bull barrel, I can tell you the perceivable difference between the two is incredibly small...if that helps any. I have not shot a flanged barrel.

·
Premium Member
13,766 Posts
wouldnt a full length/heavier dustcover accomplish the same thing? what advantage is there to the flange besides weight?
This sound like the bear "monolith".
C.A.

·
Premium Member
13,766 Posts
My thoughts are, it's like splitting hairs at this point. I don't think I'm a good enough shot to really get the most out of either setups, but my experience with it resonates like the above.

We're talking maybe around .05 - .08 seconds faster splits (I think I am remembering correctly when I tried a buddy's out). Remember though, I'm not a very good shot, lol, so YMMV.

I think it's definitely an unfair advantage in the shooting games where a .05 split difference is huge, but I wouldn't call it a crutch for bad fundamentals, you know what I mean? But...

if it means making the .45 ACP more fun to shoot for you (or hotter calibers :p), more power to you, and I think you would like it. Keep in mind it'll make it a little bit more nose heavier - which kind of bugs me during longer range sessions.

I know, I'm a pansy. I find myself favoring the commander sized models more for balance (and smaller calibers too, heh) as I progress as a shooter (gasp* and even plastic and aluminum guns lol).

If you want a taste of what a boat anchor is like, give a FLGR Tungsten guide rod a shot. Those things are heavy. Personally, bull bbls are sexy to me, and they will always have a place in my heart, erm, collection.
You are on the right track, the easiest way to quantify this is via measured split times...If you recall from my 45 vs 38s thread a few weeks ago for me:

CQB 38 S Bull barrel splits: .256
TE 45 Flange barrel splits: .32

When looking at small #s, generally best to look at % differences (otherwise one might say, "so what 6 1/100s of a sec difference"). % diff = the CQB is shooting 20% faster (in splits) then the TE...In a "game of splits" this is significant. For example, the Bill Drill is a game of "draw" + "a game of splits"...Of course, as I discussed in the above mentioned thread, there is so much more to the story of what might actually happen in a self defense situation. For example: 1) If you have multiple targets (and this also applies to competition) especially if the transitions are WIDE, the transition time will be much more important than the split time; and 2) In my little experiment, I showed that although the 38S is "splitting faster" the TE-45 is actually spitting out "firepower" at a faster rate (given the split times above)...This is 45 flange vs 38s bull for illustrative purposes.

Now back to your #s 45bull to 45TE. Let's assume your .08 differential is correct, and use my TE45 split times. % wise this comes out to about 25% in favor of the flanged gun. Again, significant in a "game of splits"...What this is worth in a SD situation each person would need to decide because there are so many variables and possible scenarios...For me, I like to stack the deck in my favor little by little because all these things add up and (might) make the difference. That is why I choose the Flanged Barreled guns with a 45 acp round for competition and SD. (Although I did shoot my 38S-Bull in a match for the first time this past Sunday).
C.A.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I had my Tactical Elite barrel flush cut, crowned and polished by Alchemy Custom due to slide damage caused by my own ham handedness during cleaning. At the range I can tell little difference in muzzle flip between the two configurations and I really like the looks of the flush cut gun. I do see a substantial difference between the bull barrel configuration and and a standard bushing model.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts