1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to pull the trigger on a order for an Elite Professional. Have never shot, let alone handled a Wilson with the flanged barrel.

Can I get some pros and cons about it. Especially from those that own one.

Getting pretty excited about placing the order. Really want a Wilson before my second retirement arrives.

I know some are fanatics about them.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
328 Posts
well

this is just me, so keep that in mind.

I have a tactical elite built about 10 years ago. that thing shoots great and is somewhat noticeable vs a 1911 with the standard bushing set up. I am getting ready to buy a stealth off of a fellow forum member here in a week or two, so I am developing a bias towards them. I also find that they take a little more time to break down and reassemble than a standard bushing gun.

I honestly think you would be fine either way, but if you have never owned a Wilson, then watch out. you will own more than one.

Best
Jordan

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a TE and a Stealth. Both are excellent shooters, very accurate and quick on follow-up shots.

I find the Stealth much easier to field strip, using the "gunsmiths" method of removing the slide with the recoil guide and spring still installed. The TE stills requires me to use that stupid little nail.

But, both guns are new enough that I haven't had to tackle the disassembly of the guide rod to replace the captured spring. I fear my patience will be tested with that task.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Some may say that the take down is a hassle because it's unconventional, requires a pin and the pin is easy to lose. Those are all true, but the takedown is sometimes perceived as inconvenient only because it's different. It will become second nature quickly, just keep a paperclip around and use it instead of the pin.

·
Premium Member
13,781 Posts
This question gets asked very often which is fine...

The flange-barreled guns are Wilson's best shooting 1911s as far as recoil dynamics...This is not just an opinion, it virtually says this on their web site. Also, the laws of physics with that weight out there where it counts is not arguable.

Some folks will weigh-in on the looks, which of course (is) an opinion based on taste, so not something worth debating.

The pin issue is really not an issue, as G28 indicated, just different.

All my WC-45's have flanged barrels (one EP and 2 TEs), I mean WTH-not, they allow me to shoot at a better level than I would otherwise be able to practicing 2X per month (nominally, more on vacations! :)).

You will love the EP.
C.A.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I sold a TE in .45 acp two years ago, no regrets, I didn't care for it. Noticed minimal difference in shooting between it and a 5" bushing pistol. Take down difficulty is over rated, a none issue. I am considering an EP, don't tell FBF or CA, if I can find an all stainless. Wanting to know if there is a difference in the 4" barrel length.

I'd say get what appeals to you the most. It's your boat to float.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taking another look it seems to be about 500 more for the flanged barrel over the standard Professional. Am I missing something. That's a lot of upgrades, and I'm going to get quite a few.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a TE in .45 and a TE in 10 mm. I have shot some combat pistol courses with the TE 45 and the gun performed perfectly. I do notice the somewhat reduced amount of time to get back on target compared to a gun with a bushing. (I have shot timed drills with each gun and most always do it a little faster with the TE) The 10 mm is great for the woods and it seems to tame the recoil somewhat compared to a Delta Elite that I have shot.

My new Stealth in 9mm should be here in a few days. My vision was a reasonably compact carry gun with very fast, accurate follow up shot times. I'll send pics and targets when I get it.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
The one piece BP mag well comes standard on the Elite pluse the match grade hand fitted flanged barrel. The mag well is a $275 value plus the flanged barrel . If adding a mag well is on your option list seems like I would go Elite. If reduced recoil and second shot recovery is important go elite.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Mag well and probably a round butt, is on on my list. I see the carbon mag well as 100. I will also be getting blued polished slide sides and Frame and either a Tritium front sight or gold bead, most probably Tritium and serrated top of slide.

My mistake went up a line, mag well is 250.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have a TE in 45acp and an EP in 38S, both guns are so easy to shoot compared to their non-flanged siblings.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not sure exactly what pistols you are comparing to see the $500 difference, but a recent thread on someone's build leads me to believe they are now offering the flanged barrel as an option on any model. Someone please correct me here if I am wrong.

Darren

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Not sure exactly what pistols you are comparing to see the $500 difference, but a recent thread on someone's build leads me to believe they are now offering the flanged barrel as an option on any model. Someone please correct me here if I am wrong.

Darren
This was talked about and actually announced by WCR. I believe they recanted though. Something to do with the logistics of the situation.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know last year it was announced and didn't happen, but I think some posted in the last 2 weeks about ordering another model with the flange. Again, I may be wrong.

Darren

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Darren
Just comparing the Professional and Elite Professional.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts