1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:

I have a 1911 serial No. 333xxx. The US Property rollmark and proofing stamp (behind the trigger guard) have been professionally removed (only noticed under careful examination). I could not find any rebuild marks on the frame. Were Flannery barrels only used in rebuilds, or used in other circumstances?

All of the other features of the pistol seem correct for age and manufacture. I only paid $450 for the pistol. Is this most likely a "parts" gun? Ideaas on the current value?

DOC

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Flannery Barrel

Flannery barrels were not made until 1943. They were primarily field replacement barrels, but some were used in new production.
The fact that some of the markings have been professionally removed takes it out of the collector class. Someone made an attempt to hide the fact that it was a U.S. property pistol, destroying much of it's value.

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
On a 333XXX pistol the US Property marking should be on the left side dust cover.

·
Premium Member
15,657 Posts
'I wonder if removing the US Property mark could be done by an armorer at the regiment/division level to facilitate the transport home as a personal pistol?'

I believe this would be the least-likely of all possibilities. Any armorer doing something like this would do hard time. He said he smuggled it home, and he probably had it worked on to remove the markings.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
DOCatRU said:
Folks

All of the other features of the pistol seem correct for age and manufacture. I only paid $450 for the pistol. Is this most likely a "parts" gun? Ideaas on the current value?

DOC
Is this the same pistol noted in your seccond post as coming out of your father's footlocker?

Removing the UNITED STATES PROPERTY doesn't make it any less U.S. property. It is easily identified by the right side slide markings, the provisional military acceptance stamps, and most of all by the serial number.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts