1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand different manufacturers' brass is different, I understand sorting brass by headstamp, but these two cases have markedly different flash holes. I've never seen anything this large in .45 ACP. I had two cases out of 100 in these range pickups that were like this.

Anyone else ever run into freakishly large flash holes? Is this something a previous reloader modified?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Old news

The larger flash hole is from a round loaded with a non-toxic or lead free primer.

The lead free primer has a higher intial recoil impulse so to reduce that pressure makers have gone to a larger flash hole (Winchester ) a crimped in primer (Remington) or a small pistol primer (some Federal and CCI)

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Thanks for the info old cop, I have not run across any of the "large hole" cases yet, or if I have them I've never noticed. I take it they (the large primer hole cases) still load and function without any adjustments to the load? :scratch:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Hmmm...Have not run into them either.
If that was a Cowboy revolver caliber brass, ie 38 spl. I would say it was used in just primer non powder loads, like wax or rubber bullets.

I have a bunch I modified long ago, but keep the apart and marked from the rest.

Seems like Old Cop called it.

Don2

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update. I started reloading in 1974 and I'm picking it back up after being out of it since about 2001, so I've probably missed some of the news that may be old news to others.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It doesn't make any difference to the load and no changes are needed. I thought it might show up a velocity difference but it didn't.

The same is true for the CCI and Federal cases that take a small pistol primer. Again no difference in velocity

1 - 6 of 6 Posts