1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just looking for opinions here. Is this a useful modification, flat topping a slide and serrating it. Or is this mostly just a cosmetic thing with little usefullness. Thanks for all...trying to decide.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I see both as being purely cosmetic option, altough a very attractive one. On the practical side, if you wanted to lighten the slide, flat topping it would help to a slight degree. Serrations are often billed as "reducing glare", but IMHO, they are cosmetic too.
Don't get me wrong, but I think any actual performance gains will come the shooter being really happy with his newly flat topped, serrated gun. Good Luck!
John

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am not quite sure what you mean by flat topped serrated slide. Can you post a pic of it?

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
Gotta say, I've never experienced 'glare' off the top of a 1911 slide.
Then again, I don't usually play with guns that have the top high-polished.

The greatest advantage to flat-topping a slide is the increase of the front sight apparent height. Milling a .030" deep flat on the top 'reveals' an additional .030" of front sight, making it a bit more prominent and easy to find.

Serrating that flat is just the icing on the cake!

I have flat-topped and checkered them before!!

If I had my 'druthers' every gun I build would be flattened and serrated.

Iff'n you would like to see pics, just ask.......please ask!!!!

FAST-GOOD-CHEAP
Pick two.

Chuck

[This message has been edited by pistolwrench (edited 04-09-2001).]

·
Premium Member
11,807 Posts
John, that appears to be an interesting profile on the front site on the Para slide. Is it milled to 2 different widths? Stepped on the back? Could you post some more pics to further clarify that?
Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
354 Posts
The sight picture with the two different front sight widths will look really different in a rear notch. Can you give us the rational for the two widths?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
First, to give credit where it is due, Todd Jarrett gave me this idea when I attended a class that he put on. The reason that I do this to my guns is that these sights as they are modified give me several advantages.
The front sight being cut to two different widths allows a faster sight picture and also fixes a problem that may just be peculiar to me, in that every time I fired a shot, the front sight would turn in to a black blur. For reasons that I can’t explain, the two-step front sight does not blur out. It stays in focus all the way through the recoil cycle. All the way up and all the way back into the rear sight notch. Never lose the front sight.
The rear sight having the corners chopped off does two things for me also, I can see the next target quicker and the angled outside corners seem to draw my focus to the front sight.
The front sight is cut to .095” at the bottom and .065” at the top. The step is .075” down from the top. The rear sight corners are cut at 45 degrees and I moved the cutter in until I was nearly starting to cut the main body of the sight.
Anyway, this works for me, I make no guarantee it will for you. It only costs a set of sights to find out!
John

·
Registered
354 Posts
John,
The border on either side of the serrations is really well done, especially in how it continues through the front sight dovetail. Very Cool!
Thanks for the explanation on the two-step sight.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Hi Gentlemen,
I serrate slides for a professional shooter that uses the serrations as a guide for his eyes. His eye tracks down the serrations to the front blade, he is very critical of the sight picture. I have a tough enough time just watching the front blade, but for some it may make a difference.

Hi John, your flat top & sights looks great, I like the bordered sides, I e-mailed you a few times am I coming through? MetalSmith

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Is there enough post there to add a little gold bead?...like an insert, not on the very top.

Thanks

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
You could use some, oh say, .045" gold wire, but I don't think it would be very prominent in the sight picture. I personally don't care for any dots or colors, so I don't tend to experiment much with them. Hope everyone has a great Easter weekend!
John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts