1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me Kimber SIS Pro will be my EDC and obviously want it to be problem-free. Having said that I plan to replace the recoil spring for reliability purposes and would like to know what part # from Wilson Combat I should order.

I also would like to know if doing it needs a gun smith or I can do it myself. Plus, how difficult will it be to do it? Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
The recoil spring is just a simple "pull off old one, push on new one" type job.

Have you field stripped your 1911 yet?
Once you learn that, you'll see that the recoil spring is EASY to remove/install.

Regarding what spring you should get......can't help with that.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
No problem with getting what one likes...1911 is like that. But the round recoil spring has been reliable for a hundred years. Why would it be unreliable now?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Got the wilson spring ....why doesn't the wilson recoil rod go completely to the end ? It stops short about 3/8 of an inch from the barrel tip .
So far so good......I like the slightly stronger spring of the wilson kit

·
Registered
275 Posts
No problem with getting what one likes...1911 is like that. But the round recoil spring has been reliable for a hundred years. Why would it be unreliable now?
If you can't see any improvements to the 1911 in the last 100 years you ain't been watching
Duel safety
Lowered ejection port
Sights
Combat hammer
Ejectors
Beavertail grip safety
Triggers
On and on....

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Never said there were no improvements. But I'll concede...

"Got the wilson spring ....why doesn't the wilson recoil rod go completely to the end ? It stops short about 3/8 of an inch from the barrel tip."

The last 3/8" is so it can be one piece and still be field stripped without special tools. A tight bushing would require a bushing wrench, a finger tight bushing no tools at all required.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Pics of what your describing would help. But with the flat wire you need a new guide rod. I believe you will need the Kit and not just the flat wire spring. The inside diameter of the flat wire spring is smaller than the round wire spring and the existing guide rod will not fit in properly/completely.

Is that what your explaining, or did I miss the target completely?

I would include a link to the Wilson Part, but I don't see where you said what size SIS you have. Wilson does not make a kit for the 4 1/4 Commander length. They have a 4" version of what they consider "Commander Size". Wilson only carries/makes the full size, 4" and the Sential specific sizes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
They made it short like that so you don't need any tools/paper clip to field strip for cleaning. Nighthawk does the same with their flat wire setup.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does anyone make a flush fitting rod...paper clips are no big deal for me

·
Registered
141 Posts
For myself I buy the full size 1/4 inch guide rod from EGW for the full size 1911 and cut it flush with the spring plug. I like the looks of it flush myself.

·
Registered
275 Posts
For the sake of other members that may read this post....

It isn't as simple as buying a 5 inch rod and cutting it down....

After that you must have or be capable of machining down at an angle the recoil rod end that abuts up against the link....and a slot relief for the link itself on the reoil rod.

After that it works....paper clip required for disasembly.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Some guide rods for non 5" guns have the relief cut for the link but many do not. I will have to look to be sure but I only remember 1 of my 8 non 5" having the relief cut from the factory.

I did convert my 4" springer to a Wilson FW setup and bought the 4" kit. But I am using it in GI style so I still cut the guide rod down lol.

·
Premium Member
14,477 Posts
I believe EGW has the rod kit for a 4" Kimber Pro flat wire spring and is full length.

LOG

·
Premium Member
14,477 Posts
The Kimber Pro has a problem. Kimber ships with an OACP recoil spring meant to be compressed to .700" at full recoil. Kimber has .940" of space, so the 22# OACP is generating about 18# at that compression, and that's fine, but the problem comes in the in battery position and this spring is then weak, and return to battery becomes a problem. Wolff is now making one recoil spring for the Kimber Pro models and is far better than the factory one. The Flat wire recoil spring has an advantage as with the thinner wire there are more coils so the tension is smoother from battery to full recoil. For the 5"GM either or and lots of choices.

LOG

1 - 20 of 50 Posts