1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I have a friend that has a Tarus PT1911 .45 ACP. Yes I know all about Tarus and many of your opinions ( I agree with you) on that pistol!

She had the full length guide rod and reverse plug that came in the pistol. I replaced it with a short guide rod and plug. The guide rod is a Wilson Combat that I got a great deal on and a Brownells plug. I did install a Wilson Combat Shok Buff as well.

She took it to the range and it shot terrible. She said she was shooting Winchester White Box 230 grain ball. Her distance was 6-7 yards. She is normally a good shot! She could not get it to group. The pistol did not have any malfunctions!

Why we changed it was it made it easier for her to field strip and clean.

My question is, would that change cause the barrel to not lock up properly and cause accuracy issues?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Boy I can't see any reason the change would impact accuracy but some of the masters here might have a different opinion. I made that change on my SA and there was no change in that area. The shock buff could impart a different feel to the gun than she is used to. I would try sans buff before making any change or jus have her out more rounds down range. Good luck

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am looking to make this same change to mine for the same reason. I polished the firing control surfaces and it made a noticeable change to trigger pull.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy I can't see any reason the change would impact accuracy but some of the masters here might have a different opinion. I made that change on my SA and there was no change in that area. The shock buff could impart a different feel to the gun than she is used to. I would try sans buff before making any change or jus have her out more rounds down range. Good luck
I agree with you. It was very strange to say the least. But like you say, I am waiting for the professionals to chime in.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You changed 2 variables. Change only one and you have your answer. The shok buff will change nothing but felt recoil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seriously, you think a shock buff has any effect on accuracy? What you are dealing with is a Tarus.... ??? They "can be" a bit inaccurate to start with.... for the most part...
Perhaps SHE.... was having a bad day! Benched rested? Same ammo??
Unless you are Ransom Resting this pistol at 50 yds you will not know the effects of any part changes unless you are VERY adept at bench resting a pistol. NMBUZZ

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I changed the FLGR on my Loaded to a GI setup. No chance in accuracy.
I don't use shokbuffs on any of my 1911's. I don't see a need for them.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seriously, you think a shock buff has any effect on accuracy? What you are dealing with is a Tarus.... ??? They "can be" a bit inaccurate to start with.... for the most part...
Perhaps SHE.... was having a bad day! Benched rested? Same ammo??
Unless you are Ransom Resting this pistol at 50 yds you will not know the effects of any part changes unless you are VERY adept at bench resting a pistol. NMBUZZ
She is a very good marksman! She knows her pistol. Like I said before, I know all about Tarus reputation.

What I am asking for is, will changing the guide rods change accuracy? I know that a Shok Buff will not hinder or effects accuracy. She wanted to try it for her self.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
She is a very good marksman! She knows her pistol. Like I said before, I know all about Tarus reputation.

What I am asking for is, will changing the guide rods change accuracy? I know that a Shok Buff will not hinder or effects accuracy. She wanted to try it for her self.

I can't think of much that can affect accuracy at 6-7 yards. Too much coffee maybe.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ok.. Wild guess here.. Perhaps the GI plug does not fit the barrel bushing right and it's causing it to float on you..I found this on a Norinco a friend complained about..I had a couple of plugs that were too small for the Norinco bushing, hard to get a new barrel bushing from EGW.. Solved looseness and added needed accuracy.
Just a guess though..

Be Safe😎

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ok.. Wild guess here.. Perhaps the GI plug does not fit the barrel bushing right and it's causing it to float on you..I found this on a Norinco a friend complained about..I had a couple of plugs that were too small for the Norinco bushing, hard to get a new barrel bushing from EGW.. Solved looseness and added needed accuracy.
Just a guess though..

Be Safe��
Loose sight?
Finally, something constructive.

For all the Taurus haters out there, my Taurus hits where I aim it. Every time.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Finally, something constructive.

For all the Taurus haters out there, my Taurus hits where I aim it. Every time.
AS did my PT1911. I think it's safe to say most of the bashers have never handled a Taurus of any sort. Three Taurus sidearms and all excellent.

·
Premium Member
11,552 Posts
Well.... I've handled hundreds (when I was an FFL holder). Sold a bunch, sent a substantial portion back for warranty work, sent a bunch of those back a second time, got cussed by customers who blames me for the poor quality, ate some of the cost of replacing some of those factory returns with another gun (usually not Taurus), tore a bunch apart and observed the poor machining/fitting, repaired some that the factory wouldn't/couldn't repair, and swore off ever selling another Taurus to anyone under any circumstances. I've seen nothing in the last 15 years to change my opinion. Hate them? No. I'm just not going to make excuses for them. If someone asks me, they will get my voice of experience. If someone else has a better experience perhaps they will hear that, too, and can make an informed decision that fits their particular circumstances.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Her Tarus is a very nice example. Her trigger is one of the best 80 series triggers I have felt. I did do some polishing on the trigger, ignition and all moving parts. She shot it a few hundred rounds after I worked on the trigger and it shot very well.

Then we replaced the FLGR with a short government guide rod. Then she started to see her accuracy fall off.

I am thinking we will reinstall the original setup and shoot it. That should help diagnose the problem.

The bushing fit is within standards and it is a good fit. Even with the new plug, it fit well.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She told me today that she noticed the weight was lighter at the muzzle. I think that little bit of weight difference is what caused her to shoot poorly. She is going back out in the morning to test it with both setups.

I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My family and I have a friend that has a Tarus PT1911 .45 ACP. Yes I know all about Tarus and many of your opinions ( I agree with you) on that pistol!

She had the full length guide rod and reverse plug that came in the pistol. I replaced it with a short guide rod and plug. The guide rod is a Wilson Combat that I got a great deal on and a Brownells plug. I did install a Wilson Combat Shok Buff as well.

She took it to the range and it shot terrible. She said she was shooting Winchester White Box 230 grain ball. Her distance was 6-7 yards. She is normally a good shot! She could not get it to group. The pistol did not have any malfunctions!

Why we changed it was it made it easier for her to field strip and clean.

My question is, would that change cause the barrel to not lock up properly and cause accuracy issues?

My Taurus PT1911 with the factory FLGR field strips exactly like my Sig C3 with the short guide rod. No difference at all. No tools needed .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts