1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(
Has anyone else been experiencing this phenomena: Cookies keep downloading even as I erase them through the options menu of Firefox.
Does not happen anywhere else online with me. Sound and music seems to infiltrate sporatically at times also.
Have done Symantic virus sweeps numerous times .
Administration/administrators please take note!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
the web site has had a major change in the last few days. it is no longer stable and the time spent here is now work, to keep the site open and not on a contiued close and reopen. it seems that the admistation has not yet admitted a problem exisists.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I'm working off a 5th Gen iPad using the HD format and have only had minor "kick outs" but those are occurring, fairly often.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Im getting constant ads

For, Madrid, the movie savings MR. banks surely someone can put a stop to this, the solution is not just running antiviris, I have avast and it still happens, someone must hold these advertising bastards accountable. They are ruining this website. No other website that I visit seems to have these problems. Something just occured lately.

·
Registered
461 Posts
yes something has changed lately - I started a thread about it and so far nobody from the web site has commented. I am guessing due to the weekend, Hopefully they will take a look at the issue or tell us what is happening soon. I would be ashame to think this is the new normal for the best site on the web.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Firefox seems to be keeping the ad's at bay but it is getting worse and worse. I occasionally lock up now when it decides to "flood". Remember when it was just the rotating banners that were flagging anti-virus software?

I have to wonder how much money is really being made in ads vs what we as a community could support without them. I for one would pay an annual fee to get ALL of the videos and banners gone. Let's face it bandwidth and maintenance of open source forum software is just not that expensive.

·
Premium Member
20,417 Posts
I'm running Firefox and the plague continues. At least now I can mute my speakers.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Zero problems for me. The only add I see is the banner add at the top of the page.

Odd.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Nope, never seen them. I can see where that could be annoying. Right now, just the Turnbull MFG banner add, nothing else.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
I have to wonder how much money is really being made in ads vs what we as a community could support without them.
donno, here
But I'm a mod/admin on a small trade related board with maybe 75 members on at any given time.
It brings in over $100K a year in banner ad revenue alone.
Haven't a clue what all the other ads and "pay pr click" hyperlinks bring

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
20,417 Posts
I have no problem with an ad you have to click on intentionally. The audio ones that jump out there in full volume and make me draw bother me.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm set up to block all 3rd party cookies and manually approve any first part cookies. Depending on the banners, I get alerts to approve/block between 4 and 10 cookies. This is only happening when certain ads are displayed. When this happens, the "back arrow" dropdown list in my browser will also have numerous urls in it that are not forum pages. They are, however, in my browser history... as if I had visited the pages. In order to go back one page in the forum, I have to select a real forum page from the dropdown list. There are currently 27 blocked cookies related to this page in my privacy report that have nothing to do with 1911forum.com
Some of the suspects are:
pubmatic
crwdcntrl
tacticalrepublic
openx
quantserve
sitescout
viglin(k)
scorecardresearch
adnxs

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
just got a virus today from this site. One of those "your computer is infected" crap things that give you no choice to exit, or to "end process". Took a while to find it and get rid of it, even with all my anti-virus and malware precautions.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
just got a virus today from this site. One of those "your computer is infected" crap things that give you no choice to exit, or to "end process". Took a while to find it and get rid of it, even with all my anti-virus and malware precautions.
What anti virus are you using? Never got a virus from a forum.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
What anti virus are you using? Never got a virus from a forum.
Name it - I'm using it or have it downloaded.

Definitely came from one of the links on this forum. Imbedded itself into the registry files pretty deeply, and took me a while to track it down. It was an executable file, but no .exe extension in the file name.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
100k a year from a 75 member forum???

If they do it's the most profitable banner ad program in the history of the Internet by 10 fold. Even the most generous campaign on massive volume sites estimate maybe $1000 a month. The vast majority are a few hundred at best.

Fred, what are you running for an O/S and browser combo? I want to see that for myself as well.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I ran Malwarebytes and it picked up and quarantined these 2 threats;

Registry Keys Detected: 2
HKCU\Software\Iminent (PUP.Optional.Iminent.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKLM\Software\Iminent (PUP.Optional.Iminent.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Are these harmful?
Respects, Pedro.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts