1911Forum banner

Florida bracing again.

2143 57
World Map Line Terrestrial plant Screenshot
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

· Registered
1,129 Posts
I had to run over to the boat and staying over here tonight. The Coast Guard ordered that everyone shelter in place and that means double and triple lines on the dock. They further ordered no vessels allowed to move in the port. lots of traffic from Orlando heading over this way at 2300.

· Registered
330 Posts
Not all of us leave when a storm comes no matter the strength.
And NONE of us like to sit in sweltering heat with no power afterward while all our food rots in the fridge because we don’t have gas for the generator. Sorry, but its first come first serve.
I will say though that I never understood all the hoarding of bottled water. I’ve been thru at least a dozen hurricanes in my life and never not once have we lost water or the ability to turn on the tap.
It's not a matter of being to turn on your tap. Its that the water coming out of your tap may not be treated water and you need to either boil it or have a good filtration system. Hence the need to be able to survive on bottled water.

· Registered
330 Posts
Having been through so many hurricanes, some just a small inconvenience and others a royal pain in the ass, I have got the drill down. I need about 30 min to be ready. Cat 5 accordion shutters, bring in a few things and I'm ready. Have food, water and fuel. A small window shaker air conditioning is a life saver. I run an inverter generator, a little more expensive but it is clean power. Using a regular generator you can fry your electronics and every modern day appliance has some sort of computer chip in them and they do not like dirty power. Most generators have horrible quality of power, fine for power tools and lights. I run the entertainment center, refrigerator, lights and a small AC on 3800 watts of clean power. Have enough fuel to last a least a week.

· Registered
6,886 Posts
A friend of ours who lives in Ruskin, FL just received an order for mandatory evacuation. She was packing up the car as we spoke.
Even though they say ‘mandatory’ they cant force you to leave.
If youre well prepped and home or place you are is secure I’d stay.
Cat 4 or 5 well than its time to make peace with your maker and make a decision. I lived thru Andrew. They aren’t fun but are survivable.
Tornadoes scare the crap outta me..

· Registered
29,974 Posts
Here in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia we are planning to shelter in place.
A shout out here to forum member US 1911.
If you need a place to bug out to Chris. We have a guest suite available for you for as long as you need it. Always have a place for another sailor! Stay safe. CF

· Registered
Colt Ser70, Colt M1911A1 (two), RemRand M1911A1, Browning 1911-22, Springfield 1911 RO Compact-9mm
622 Posts
Its not even gonna hit any part of Florida. But I would like to borrow the Hatteras if you don’t mind? Wife needs to pick up a few relatives about 90 miles south of here….😉
Not going to hit FL??? What models were you looking at?

· Registered
Colt Ser70, Colt M1911A1 (two), RemRand M1911A1, Browning 1911-22, Springfield 1911 RO Compact-9mm
622 Posts
Well, it's here NE of Tampa. Not as much or a concern as Irma was, but still problematic. Really bad for SE coast though.

To everyone who doesn't want to move here because of storms, the carolinaas get more than we do. Just don't buy a house on the barrier islands. I'm about 30 miles inland and its an easy drive when we want to go, and it never floods here. Not even today with nearly 24 h of constant rain.

· Registered
622 Posts
If the storm tracks as predicted, Tampa will get hit pretty good. This area of Florida coastline gets very few direct hits by hurricanes. The attached map is from 1950 to 2017. View attachment 651990
Hi, nice map. Where'd you get tit, and is there an updated one with the past few years?

And yeah, it is VERY difficult for a storm to hit right here, but if one ever did.....

· Registered
962 Posts
Hi, nice map. Where'd you get tit, and is there an updated one with the past few years?

And yeah, it is VERY difficult for a storm to hit right here, but if one ever did.....
I got the 1950-2017 map at the first link.
At the second link you can purchase an updated wall poster 1950-2021.

· Registered
933 Posts
Well that was a long day. I’m about 10 miles east of DT Tampa. Never lost power but most in the area did. Lots of trees down, will know more when the sun comes up. Already got some calls for chain saw work so will probably run a saw most of today. Those south of me in Sarasota to Naples got hammered. They will need a lot of help.

· Registered
155 Posts
I'm in North Port,Fl. we got hit hard! it seemed like since 2:30 til 9:30 PM, even after midnight it was scary, we had winds and rain driving so hard you couldn't see 30 feet out your window. We lost a few shingle (14 year old roof) lost some ceiling panels in carport (my fault, dont open doors doing cat 4 hurricane) LOL. and Linai poly carbonate window frame got pushed in, mainly due to installer, apparently the screws going into roof joist only penetrated by half inch! Noth ing compared to other not far, flooding into homes, people being stranded. National Guard coming in and rescuing some vehicle and people. Even the North Port Navy was deployed, thats the local crackers with air boats and fishing boats helping neighbors. We got more LEO's at gas stations controlling the mayhem than a Trump Rally! Gastions and Publics are nuts! Still with out power but I have my welder generator to help us and a few nehibors. People lost house here and this is not as bad as other places.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I'm in North Port,Fl. we got hit hard! it seemed like since 2:30 til 9:30 PM, even after midnight it was scary, we had winds and rain driving so hard you couldn't see 30 feet out your window. We lost a few shingle (14 year old roof) lost some ceiling panels in carport (my fault, dont open doors doing cat 4 hurricane) LOL. and Linai poly carbonate window frame got pushed in, mainly due to installer, apparently the screws going into roof joist only penetrated by half inch! Noth ing compared to other not far, flooding into homes, people being stranded. National Guard coming in and rescuing some vehicle and people. Even the North Port Navy was deployed, thats the local crackers with air boats and fishing boats helping neighbors. We got more LEO's at gas stations controlling the mayhem than a Trump Rally! Gastions and Publics are nuts! Still with out power but I have my welder generator to help us and a few nehibors. People lost house here and this is not as bad as other places.
‘Sorry you have been hit so hard. Downtown Naples took a hard hit from storm surge, mostly. We are a bit inland and higher up so, other than a few trees down and power outage, we dodged the bullet (not so with IRMA, whole community lost roofs or parts of and 13 days without pwr) . We are praying for you all up the coast. Hang in there.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts