1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello FLSi and Mattk,

Do you consider this match appropriate for a fairly new shooter who has been 100% focused on slow, accurate bullseye type shooting ?
I have strongly considered entering, but think I am way below the needed experience threshold to participate ... ???

I feel a bit intimidated by all the high end shooters that will be there...

( as a reference, on most any day, I can shoot endless rounds in 4" groups at 15 yds, on really good days, a 1.5" 5 shot set.
Been shooting once or twice a week for the last 8 months ..... )

Thanks !!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you've shot IDPA or IPSC, and are experienced with drawing, reloading and shooting on the move, this is the match for you.

BTW Matt K. The Grey Ghost is most impressive! That's the one I need to win.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello Matt and FLSi,

Well, I never shot anything beyond indoor bullseye, purchased my 1911 but 3 months ago, and had my first holster overnight shipped the weekend before the match...

With more guts than skill I went to the FlaSingleStackClassic and had one of the best weekends I can remember. Sure, maybe I came in last, but it was just an Outstanding Experience.

My anxiety over finding the shooters the typical 'gun store type' was relieved within the first few minutes.

1) I met some of the most friendly people who were more than willing to assist me and help me feel comfortable and relaxed than I had ever imagined.

2) I really did much better (IMO) than I had expected. On my last stage, the X-Ring, the RO was shocked to learn this was my first outdoor shooting competition- he was impressed ! I was even videoed by someone.

3) I have invitations from groups all over the Central Florida area to join them in their monthly meets.

No, I did not win one of the big physical prizes, but the 'award' of having done it has boosted my confidence more than a custom gun could have ever accomplished.

In summary, I was a personal Top Winner for having attended !!!!

Best to All My New Friends

DVC,
SouthGun

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sounds like you approached it with a good attitude and were appropriately rewarded.

I shot the AL SSC this year and had a great time also. I like the SSC format and plan to shoot it more.

------------------
Claude
Shooterscoach.com

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
What Squad were you guys on?
I had to shoot through on Sat and work at the range on Sunday so I shot with almost everyone.
Squad one was made of most of the guys from East Orange.
My boss built the GREY GHOST.
I was the short young guy wear jeans, a blue hat and a staff shirt.
I did see one 1911 forum shirt out there but was too busy to say hi.

What did you guys think of stage 10?
YIKES!

SouthGUN and FLSI you must come to my range on thurs night and shoot practical tactical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts