1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed some gunsmiths flush cut crown barrels to the bushing.

Is this cosmetics or to improve reliability and accuracy ?

Did a search on crowned barrels and understand what crowning can provide if needed.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,919 Posts
Purely cosmetic, most barrels protrude a bit. My FLG has a regular customer who pays extra for 6" barrels to be cut to 5.15" because he likes more protrusion than standard. Makes them look like Llamas to me. Ick.
Note that a truly flush muzzle would have to be at the 1.5 degree lockup angle of the barrel relative to the slide and not square to the bore.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Another alternative is finding a thicker barrel bushing (EGW's comes to mind). The thicker bushing makes the barrel seem even with (or slightly below) the bushing. I like this look, as well as a nicely "countersunk" crown job.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
"Note that a truly flush muzzle would have to be at the 1.5 degree lockup angle of the barrel relative to the slide and not square to the bore."

This may be good for cosmetics but flies in the face of accuracy. The muzzle should be finished perpendicular to bore. Seems function would win this decision. Well one chooses what they chooses.

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
:D
Happy New Years!!!

Actually, in a 5" it is just under 1 degree.
King's bushings are plenty thick enough to machine on
this angle!
Crowning is done to improve accuracy.
Flush crowning is done to improve accuracy, protect the end of
the barrel and look really cool.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
H N Y

Happy New Year back atcha!

And to everyone.

·
Registered
21,919 Posts
I hadn't thought of facing off barrel and bushing together flat and flush at the lockup angle.
Now you mention it, I bet you could include the plug and FLGR tip, too, the whole front end of the gun in one plane.

Paging Ichirio Nagata.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
EGW melt bushing seems like a candidate for that set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts