1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always liked the look, and I finally found a few minutes today to make a pilot sized for my (full size) Ruger SR1911 barrel.

I trimmed the barrel down in my lathe, then hand turned this 11 degree crown flush into the bushing using a hand tool.

I'd like to spend a little more time with it to blend the bushing perfectly and polish, but for now I'm happy.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
The cut turned out very nice. Once you polish it up, blend the bushing (doesn't look like it needs much at all) and install an extended plug in there it will look very purdy. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I'm really excited to start my Stealth Arms 80% build. I'm looking forward to learning more smithing basics as I go.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
The cut turned out very nice. Once you polish it up, blend the bushing (doesn't look like it needs much at all) and install an extended plug in there it will look very purdy. :)
Or cut the bbl and bushing down to match the plug that's already there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lathe just made things quicker. I used a hand tool that I bought (from Brownells, iirc) to cut the actual 11 degree crown and flush fit. The tool can be set up with various caliber specific pilots. I make my own pilots from brass stock. The pilots are not too expensive, but I prefer to make my own so I can fit them perfectly to my barrels.

So far I've made 5 or 6 for assorted rifles and pistols in my collection.

·
Registered
616 Posts
No lathe necessary. I do mine with a drill. I then grab some green scrub pad with a bit of metal polish to finish the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts