1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found that my pre-trigger finger placement tends to push on the slide stop lever. It seems that a flush slide release, as on the SA TRP Pro, is a solution to this. I'm having some trouble finding one, though. I've looked at Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Brownells and Midway. It shouldn't be too tough to machine one, but if I can get one already made, so much the better. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get one, or brand recommendations? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
treesloth said:
I've found that my pre-trigger finger placement tends to push on the slide stop lever. It seems that a flush slide release, as on the SA TRP Pro, is a solution to this. I'm having some trouble finding one, though. I've looked at Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Brownells and Midway. It shouldn't be too tough to machine one, but if I can get one already made, so much the better. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get one, or brand recommendations? Thanks.
You can't just use a flushed up stop. You will need to have your frame countersunk so you still have the ability to push out the stop for stripping. In both cases, this is a 100% custom mod. the down side is if you have a coated gun, it will require the frame and stop to be refinished. the mod itself is very economical

·
Registered
384 Posts
Flush Slide Stop

Treesloth, is the protruding end of the slide stop shaft really a problem, or do you just prefer the looks of the flush-fit modification? I use the end of the slide stop shaft as a tactile index for the pad of my trigger finger, letting me know without looking that my finger is safely above the trigger guard and away from the trigger.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Use a 120 deg countersink so the slide stop hole provides enough support to the stop pin after countersinking..:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slapshot said:
Treesloth, is the protruding end of the slide stop shaft really a problem, or do you just prefer the looks of the flush-fit modification? I use the end of the slide stop shaft as a tactile index for the pad of my trigger finger, letting me know without looking that my finger is safely above the trigger guard and away from the trigger.
In this case, it really is for practical reasons, not aesthetics. I found during a couple of practice sessions that I managed to move the stop a little. It wasn't enough to cause a problem, but it was enough to get me wondering what might happen in a "real" situation.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm a lefty and use a high thumbs grip, thus having a flush slide stop is important to me as well. What I do is to put the slide stop into the frame, then scribe a mark, remove it and file it down, re-install and refine as needed. I don't countersink the hole!!! For take down, I use a small dowel rod to push the slide stop out. My method doesn't have the sexy look of the most common mods seen, but it works.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't think you can push the slide stop pin out while your gun is in battery unless you have a damaged gun. This is definitely a custom modification. You will want you make sure the stop is properly fitted to YOUR gun. I have a flush pin in a Wilson. I asked Wilson NOT to chamfer the frame so it is completely flush and I can still strip it easily enough (of course a regular pin is easier). IMO, the only reason to flush the pin is looks and looks alone. That said, I also had Wilson flush the grip safety pin. Take it to a qualified smith or send it to Wilson or Nighthawk if you want it perfect, otherwise bust out the sawzall, I bet you could do a decent job in about 30 minutes.
Good luck!

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I tried several pistols and while the slide stop pin will move a little when I press on it, it won't come out of the pistol at other than the disassembly notch. Like others I use it as a tactile index for my trigger finger in the guard or ready position and don't want my finger on the trigger.

"Pre-trigger finger placement" is a bit of an oxymoron, at least how I've been taught to shoot. Finger goes on the trigger as soon as the pistol clears the holster and is rotated to point at the target. Safety is coming off at the same time. Pressure is being applied as the pistol comes up to eye level and starts to punch forward. The sear is tripped at the first acceptable or flash sight picture.

I only retract my finger when the threat no longer exists.

-- Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts