1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most extreme place you have chased down a part that came off your gun during maintenance or repair.I was working on a 1911 and when I pulled up the thumb safety the plunger shot out of the plunger tube into a 55 gallon drum(sitting at the end of my bench) full of empty shotgun shells. Went thru all those hulls and found the little bugger,what pia that was! Anybody got a better one?:biglaugh:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Went thru all those hulls and found the little bugger,what pia that was! Anybody got a better one?
You mean it was in the very last hull? WOW! ;)

Dropped a Jesus clip in shag carpet, once.

Eddie

·
Registered
724 Posts
Triggerbender, that one`s gonna be a hard act to follow. A friend launched his recoil spring plug down range at an outdoor range. Three of us looked for 15 minutes and never did find it. I had to strip one of my 1911`s and loan him one until he could order another one. He owned the range and let me shoot free so it didn`t hurt to be nice. Bob

·
Registered
921 Posts
I lost a recoil spring plug in a basket full of toys... chains, leather harnesses, etc. Found it later that weekend. She never did figure out exactly why I got so excited... as far as I know.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Dropped the firingpin stop in my wife's 80 series Colt ( I hate effing 80 series Colts!!! ) Walked back and forth from my shed to my back deck at least 25 times aday for almost a week. None of my other 1911's are the "effing" kind. Finally ordered one from Brownell's, found it the next day. Kept the new one just in case my amnesia kicks in and i go for a walk w/ that "effing" 80 series again. Did I say I hate 80 series?????? Tracy

·
Registered
684 Posts
Building an AR-15

I lost not one but three f*****g detent pins assembling a stripped receiver for an AR-15. Turns out the spring for this teeny, tiny eensy-weensy little f*****g pin was about two turns too long so it was NEVER going to go in. I even bought the special Bushmaster detent pin tool, so they would go in easier. Fat chance! The pins shot out at about 3000fps. One went straight into a low earth orbit. Another went into a bin of shotgun shell hulls, never to be seen again. It will probably be found decades from now on the 5-stand field. And the third....well, if I hadn't been wearing safety glasses, I would've been able to do a great imitation of Long John Silver. Aaaaaargh!

Never found that little f***er either.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Mark, I feel your pain. I can't count how many of those pins I lost before I realized the springs were too long. Quick clip to the spring and all was well. I just made my own detent tool by drilling a hole in an old allen wrench.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was detail stripping a Winchester 290 .22 rifle,poped out a pin and sent the better part of the cartridge lifter assy under spring tension down below to the lawn in the back yard.:eek:
I was lucky to find it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Couldn't find the reverse plug on my Kimber and finally found it embedded in the ceiling of my garage. That thing is sharp and yes I was wearing safety glasses at the time, lol.

Chris

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The first time I disassembled the slide of my SA Mil-Spec the firing pin shot out of the gun and across the room with unsettling force. It was a beotch to get back into the gun, as well.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Hi, Triggerbender and guys,

That shouldn't happen and won't happen with GI parts.

The little spring that fits inside the tunnel and powers both the safety plunger and the slide stop plunger is supposed to have a kink in the middle. And both plungers are supposed to have grooves into which the ends of that spring fall when the spring is pushed onto the plungers. That means not only won't the safety plunger fly away, but you can remove the spring and both plungers as a unit and they will stay together.

But that costs money and some of the cheap arse clone makers use straight plungers and a straight spring. The result is what happened to you.

On the recoil spring plug, the GI guns (and I think Colt) have a little dimple at the front that allows the recoil spring to be "screwed" into the plug so it won't fly away. Not only that, but the recoil spring guide has a groove in it into which the small end of the spring drops to keep all three pieces together. In disassembly, you unscrew the plug from the spring to remove the slide.

The original pistols were made to be disassembled in the field without having to chase parts. Too bad the el cheapo imitators don't care; after all, they make money from selling parts.

Jim

·
Registered
333 Posts
I lost a recoil spring plug in a basket full of toys... chains, leather harnesses, etc. Found it later that weekend. She never did figure out exactly why I got so excited... as far as I know.

What kinda toys are you referring to?????????

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Jim Keenan said:
Hi, Triggerbender and guys,

That shouldn't happen and won't happen with GI parts.

The little spring that fits inside the tunnel and powers both the safety plunger and the slide stop plunger is supposed to have a kink in the middle. And both plungers are supposed to have grooves into which the ends of that spring fall when the spring is pushed onto the plungers. That means not only won't the safety plunger fly away, but you can remove the spring and both plungers as a unit and they will stay together.

But that costs money and some of the cheap arse clone makers use straight plungers and a straight spring. The result is what happened to you.

On the recoil spring plug, the GI guns (and I think Colt) have a little dimple at the front that allows the recoil spring to be "screwed" into the plug so it won't fly away. Not only that, but the recoil spring guide has a groove in it into which the small end of the spring drops to keep all three pieces together. In disassembly, you unscrew the plug from the spring to remove the slide.

The original pistols were made to be disassembled in the field without having to chase parts. Too bad the el cheapo imitators don't care; after all, they make money from selling parts.

Jim
my series 1 kimber is set up that way...all this time i thought i screwed up the spring and it was supposed to be like that...however my STI edge is NOT like that...and ive damn near lost that thing a hundred times.

Rsking45...i think you know the answer to that question...please dont ask in the slim chance that he answers:mummy: :biglaugh:

my worst two were:
1) lost a mag spring from a P220 in the garage...found it a YEAR later on the driveway...put it into the mag it came out of...functioned 100% for another 500rds...not bad for spending a year outside...huh?

2) lost the ITTY BITTY spring and plunger from the safety on my ruger 10/22...found it a week later in my sock drawer...dont ask...i havent figured that one out yet...

·
Registered
14 Posts
one time....

....i had a slug fly out of a barrel really really fast that i can't even see it. the slug put a hole in the center of a target. :dope: :dope:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Jim,
I don't know about the older Colts, but the newer Colts and the ones presently being made do not have the "screw-in" recoil spring plugs. The plugs just slide on the end of the spring and could indeed go flying if not eased off the spring as the spring expands. I can imagine that the recoil spring plug is the number 1 part that is lost on 1911's for this reason.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Re: one time....

chris93473 said:
....i had a slug fly out of a barrel really really fast that i can't even see it. the slug put a hole in the center of a target. :dope: :dope:
only one time:p ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts