1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found an FM 95 for $325 shipped, is this a good deal? What are the differences between this and the regular Hi Powers? I noticed in the pic that it has a different style hammer, but that's all I could see that was different. Are these as good as the FN Hi Powers that CDNN sells? Should I just pay the extra $75 for an FN?

(Sorry if this has already been covered, I did a search but it said the words were too short)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Alex45ACP said:
I found an FM 95 for $325 shipped, is this a good deal? What are the differences between this and the regular Hi Powers? I noticed in the pic that it has a different style hammer, but that's all I could see that was different. Are these as good as the FN Hi Powers that CDNN sells? Should I just pay the extra $75 for an FN?

(Sorry if this has already been covered, I did a search but it said the words were too short)
No Brainer!!!!! Pay the extra $75 and get a great gun for the money. IMHO there is no comparison.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the FNs are superior to the FMs? What's the difference besides the hammer? I will probably buy the FN instead since you said that, just curious now.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Alex45ACP said:
So the FNs are superior to the FMs? What's the difference besides the hammer?
use of better materials, better quality control, ...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Most people want the "real" hi power. FN and BHP are made by the same company, just doesn't have the Browning name on it. As said the FN is a higher quality pistol. I wish CDNN would ship to NY, I would have bought an FN hi power long ago.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You can't go wrong with the FN Hi Power. CDNN has them for a great price too. It will hold its resale value better than the FM as well.

·
Registered
305 Posts
They are both fine pistols. The FM is made under license and is a true clone. People who say the FN is finished better/better quality have not seen a military contract FN. They can be just as coarse. But in the states, the Brownings are commercial pistols with the finer finishing (and price). Even the basic Brownings/FN MK II/III's are pretty nicely finished relatively speaking.

Today the deal is the Browning is the nice "name" gun and the FN is the basic service no frills gun (Browning is the commercial arm and FN is the law enforcement/military division). FWIW I carry the FM (am very rough on guns), but for an extra $75, the FN would be nicer, and probably worth it. While you are at it, get the nice wood grips that CDNN has for $30, the thumbrest plastic grips that often come with the gun are horrible.

The primary difference between the FN and the FM is the relief cuts at the muzzle. The FN is dished and the FM is slabsided. This means that the FM may not go into a fitted HP holster. Either will fit okay in a 1911 holster however. Otherwise, the FM has parts interchange with the equivalent model FN/Browning. The hammer difference is somewhat arbitrary, you will see any of them with any hammer.

k

·
Registered
609 Posts
ktd said:
People who say the FN is finished better/better quality have not seen a military contract FN. They can be just as coarse.
I wouldn't say better finished (non-issue with a military pistol offcourse), but I do dare say better quality

just like the British L1A1 was made under FN License, it's not nearly in the same league as an FN FAL (granted the difference in the HP's might be a little smaller but still)

but maybe I'm biased? :biglaugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts