1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to hi-powers and just ordered a M95 Argintine hi-power. What can i expect with this pistol. I was told ALL parts interchange, and hope this to be true. I am also curious as to how long this pistol is expected to hold up. Are extra mags easy to get and how much do they run?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm very happy with my FM. It gets excellent accuracy, especially for the price. The finish leaves a little to be desired, but I added a pair of cocobolos from woodgrips.com, and it, like any hi-power, is quite the looker.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The M95 is a licensed copy of the Browning, and all parts should interchange with the current equivalent, the MKIII. SARCO says all parts interchange. From my limited experience, all the major parts interchange. I would assume like most older designs, small parts may need to be fitted. The only real difference is the FM does not have the relief cuts at the muzzle so a tight fitting browning holster may not fit. 1911 holsters, however will fit the M95 pretty nicely. Browning mags and grips fit.

While the finish is not pretty, it does seem to be pretty rust resistant. I have found it to be pretty accurate, and reliable. I fired about 300 varous assorted rounds out of the confiscation bin and had no malfs. The finish is a bit rough, but on par with FN military contract pistols. I trust it enough to use as one of my primary carry pieces.

The HiPower is a cool gun, if you look at it, its parts do all the things that a 1911 does, but does it all differently to get around some patent issues.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Actually I believe most of what was done on the HP to get around the Colt's patents were also undone when the patents expired. The changes left were more for efficiency sake.

·
Registered
305 Posts
my bad, Mr. Stone is correct. Last time I go on just my own recollection. Turns out the sear lever in the slide, which I though was also a patent issue, is more a leftover from the original specs that called for a modular firing mechanism. I still stand by the "its a cool gun" though. I definitely know that. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
ktd said:
"its a cool gun" though. I definitely know that. :)

Yes, regardless of whom you give the credit the Hi Power and it's clones/variations is a great gun. Almost 80 years old and going strong!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts