1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently jerned the "club" with the purchase of a new BUL M5 Commander. How's it shoot? Damned if I know, I'm still trying to get to the range! I think I made a good trade for it though, I gave a like new (400-500rds)stainless Ruger P93dc with three 15rd mags and $200 for the brand new Bul(matte) with the factory case and two 10rd mags.
I really like the way it fits my hands which are on the small side. The DA reach on the Ruger was a bit much, but this puppy is righteous! I can't wait to fire the 45acp round as I am a newbie to it. I purchased some practice ammo(Armscor)and a 20rd box of Gold Dot 230gr HP's for defensive use. I'm thinking maybe the GD's are too heavy though?
I'd like to hear some feedback about bullet weight for home and personal defense from you people.
A little bio if you care: 39yrs old, married with two boy's age 7 & 11. Live in the Charlotte NC area(Mooresville-"Race City"-lot's of Nascar teams here)and I will be taking my carry course, as soon as I get off my ass and make the appointment!
Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Anyone know for sure if my gun is a Kimber Poly Pro Carry or are their differences?
Any feedback on this pistol, especially ammo it doesn't like?

Ron- "The only good cat is a dead cat"

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by fugedaboudit:
I recently jerned the "club" with the purchase of a new BUL M5 Commander. How's it shoot? Damned if I know, I'm still trying to get to the range! I think I made a good trade for it though, I gave a like new (400-500rds)stainless Ruger P93dc with three 15rd mags and $200 for the brand new Bul(matte) with the factory case and two 10rd mags.
I really like the way it fits my hands which are on the small side. The DA reach on the Ruger was a bit much, but this puppy is righteous! I can't wait to fire the 45acp round as I am a newbie to it. I purchased some practice ammo(Armscor)and a 20rd box of Gold Dot 230gr HP's for defensive use. I'm thinking maybe the GD's are too heavy though?
I'd like to hear some feedback about bullet weight for home and personal defense from you people.
A little bio if you care: 39yrs old, married with two boy's age 7 & 11. Live in the Charlotte NC area(Mooresville-"Race City"-lot's of Nascar teams here)and I will be taking my carry course, as soon as I get off my ass and make the appointment!
Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Anyone know for sure if my gun is a Kimber Poly Pro Carry or are their differences?
Any feedback on this pistol, especially ammo it doesn't like?

Ron- "The only good cat is a dead cat"
Welcome to the "Club" now get out and shoot that puppy...

Okay, first, lets cover a few things... The Bul M5 is not a Kimber Poly Pro. Bul makes frames for Kimber, but I am guessing that the "finished" Kimber may be a little nicer.

First thing I would do if I owned one, get the Mag Release swap that allow's the Para Ord mags to be used.

Did you get a deal??? Can't say... Personally, I do not like Ruger Semi's, so for me, they probably aren't worth much... You should enjoy the difference in Trigger behavior from the DA Ruger to the SA 1911 clone. I am guessing the stock Bul trigger is not real clean, but that can be easily rectified...

Ammo... You can't go wrong with 230gr Gold Dot's, they are very effective. 230 gr Federal Hydrashok's have long been a standard for the 45, but in recent years, the Speer Gold Dot has become a much more reliable expanding design.

I might also consider the Federal EFMJ, but if you choose to simply use Ball, you shouldn't be too uncomfortable. Some experts still maintain 45 Ball is more than sufficient to get the job done.

I am not sure I understand your concern about 230's being too heavy... If it's about the slower velocity and reliable expansion, don't fret... A 230 brings a lot of punch, definately enough shock trauma to make your point.

Mooresville is one of my favorite places (though I have never been there), in fact, up until a few years ago, I could have probably lived my dream in that area...

Good luck with your new baby... Get them boys out too... They deserve to learn properly, and carry on the traditions.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info jaydee.

My concern about the 230gr Gold dot is overpenetration inside a home. I am new to this but I always thought the heavier the bullet, the more momentum it carries makes it not want to stop, and I have seen Hydra as light as 165gr in the stores which I figured would better for home use? Of course that bullet is travelling faster... and now I have a headache.

I have read some posts that indicate BUL and Kimber have a parts contract that is reciprocal in nature. Bul gets the McCormick barrels and slides etc...and Kimber gets frames. The BUL website doesn't talk about anything Kimber but they do state clearly that their slides, barrels, trigger group etc...ARE the Chip McCormick stuff. So maybe I already have the answer to my own question. I can tell you I had the BUL and a Kimber steel frame Pro Carry in each hand in the store and I could not see any difference in the top half of those two guns, except the names, but the shop ownwers wife could not say for sure if they were. I guess it really doesn't matter, the BUL looks to be a very fine piece of hardware. Plus I already paid for it!

I guess your statement about Mooresville had something to do with working/owning a race team? There's always tommorow. California probably will take your gun's sooner or later anyway and then you'll have to come here! I'm from originally from Long Island, NY and I'm really starting to consider this place home(after 5 years).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts