2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some local retail prices for high cap polymer frame guns:

XD45 $525
G21 $535
M&P45 $520
Taurus 24/7 $400
FNP-45 $595 :scratch:

I am a little confused as to how FN managed to market an unproven polymer gun in the face of pretty stiff competition at a price higher than any of the competitors. The only polymer that's more expensive than the FNP-45 is HK45. And, unlike the FNP, HK has earned a reputation to back up it's high asking price.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I dont consider 50 dollars 'priced out' of the competition but it is interesting, and HKs are overpriced anyway

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
FWIW...HK45 MSRP $1099

Now that might be a tad out of the price range compared to the competition.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I would like to see one in person as they appeal to more than any polymer .45 I've seen yet.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That price isn't TOO bad. If I liked the gun I would pay it.

I have an FNP 9MM. It's a great gun.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Is that price suggested retail, or what the dealers are actually charging? I'd think that's a bit high considering the other FNP series are considerably lower. However, if reports of the pistol prove to be as good as my 9-M, I'd gladly pay that for the .45.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$595 was the quoted price for the all black FNP-45 variant (so that plus tax and background check gets the gun outta the door around here). I don't know what the MSRP is.

R.Moran said:
I think FN as a comapny has as good or better rep then HK.
Bob
I meant the guns themselves. HK45 has been around whereas FNP-45 is just coming out. But I see your point - most of the time a company reputation will translate across the product line, even if it's a new product.

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
That's the first I've heard of an FNP-45 actually on a store shelf.

Probably just high because the model's brand new, and the store owner is trying to capitalize on demand.

Once they get out there in quantity, I'm sure the prices will fall to more reasonable levels.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Might be a bit high when compared to the mob, but FN and H&K, IMO, make some of the best firearms in the world, and deserve a longer-than-normal look. You don't have to look for the quality, it's there or they wouldn't market it. Now you may not like their products for one reason or another, but they don't cut corners in the QC arena and that may be one reason the $$ is a little higher (just speculating here on my part)...

Doesn't FN produce about 75% of all the US military small arms?

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I paid under $450 for an FNP-9 last year from Bass Pro when they were on sale - the .40 was the same price.

I would expect the .45 to eventually be on sale for a similar price once they are out there and available - probably a little closer to $500.

Impact Guns has the FNP45 at $507 and change currently. Discounting the Taurus (I wouldn't consider it among the others listed), it seems to me like the FNP45 is probably going to be the cheapest of the high-cap polymer .45's (with 3 mags).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
KimberDen said:
Here are some local retail prices for high cap polymer frame guns:

XD45 $525
G21 $535
M&P45 $520
Taurus 24/7 $400
FNP-45 $595 :scratch:

I am a little confused as to how FN managed to market an unproven polymer gun in the face of pretty stiff competition at a price higher than any of the competitors. The only polymer that's more expensive than the FNP-45 is HK45. And, unlike the FNP, HK has earned a reputation to back up it's high asking price.

How is the FNP-45 any more unproven than the H&K, Taurus or the M&P for that matter. All are relatively new and all are based off of a proven platform.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
magilla gorilla said:
How is the FNP-45 any more unproven than the H&K, Taurus or the M&P for that matter. All are relatively new and all are based off of a proven platform.
As far as HK45 is concerned I shouldn't have thrown it in there; Their USP has been around for a while though, and some people liked them enough to buy them at $700 or more.

I agree with you; it's very likely that FNP-45 will turn out to be a fine pistol. But there's not a single soul who can say "you know, I put thousands or rounds through my FNP-45 and didn't have a single problem". It's a new gun and I think people who don't have money to throw around will sit on the fence waiting for this gun to establish a reputation, aside from the fact that it's based on a proven platform. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that FNP-45 will claim only a small percentage of the polymer 45 sales in 2007, partly because the company chose to market it at a price above that of the guns with proven reliability records.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Once I know that there are no problems associated with the -45, I'll make it my next poly gun. My 9-M has been one of the smartest gun purchases I've ever made, and I'm always looking for an excuse to pick up another .45.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My opinion

First of all, the srp of all these pistols are high. Especial since all of them are polymer frame guns. It doesn’t cost ¼ of the msrp to make them (most parts are stamped out, no fitting required), but oh well.

XD45 $525 - Too high, has not been around long enough.

G21 $535- Proven track record, still has room for improvements.

M&P45 $520 - After their sigma series, they should have started sales low. Around 350, and
then raised their prices after they worked out the bugs (if any).

Taurus 24/7 $400 - Great pistol for the money. I see them for 325-375 around here, and
surprisingly reliable. Great budget gun

FNP-45 $595- Seems high. The ones I have handle where all reliable, but that was for a short
period of time. I’m not to familiar with them, but seems high considering popularity.

HK- Way too high, but it is worth the price for all the features they have, plus
Reliability. I think they make the best pistols around, but parts are scarce
compared to Glocks and 1911. Oh, did I forget the price.

The best marketing is price. Get the guns out there, let people see how great they are, and then raise the price. Did these manufactures not learn anything from Kimber.
Also , the XD did start with the 9mm for around 350. After people fell in love with them…..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts