1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who carries a 1911 in a Fobus? These rigs look like they'd be fine for a glock with its tenifer finish, but look as if they'd scratch up the finish on a 1911. I have a P14 with hardchrome, with the flats of the slide polished. Would they scratch up my weapon? Also, do they come in inside the pants version, with loops instead of a paddle. Paddle holsters feel like an E-tool in my pants.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My Fobus has put some scratches on my J frame. I'd expect to see small scratches on a stainless 1911 as well.

However, if it's a carry gun I wouldn't worry about holster wear. JMO

[This message has been edited by hoosierdaddy (edited 11-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I bought one and wouldn't buy a second. I absolutely hate a holster that doesn't cover and protect the muzzle of my weapon. It wouldn't add much to the cost for another inch of plastic, but they just couldn't do it!!!

As for wear, the forward serrations on my Springfield absolutely shredded the inside of the holster. You'd better have a very straight drawstroke! I didn't see any finish wear from it, but I wouldn't doubt it as possible especially if you got some sand/grit in there.

They are very durable from what I can tell, but think you would be better off buying a good kydex holster if plastic is your thing.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Administrator
18,603 Posts
I have a Fobus that was given to me by the company for my Glock...In short...I wouldn't spend a nickle on one. Not for a Glock and certainly not for a good 1911. They are cheap...

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have one and I don't really care for it. I also have an Uncle Mikes Kydex for about the same money and like it. I believe they only offer paddle and belt loop outsidethe waistband holsters. ****I also have a P14 and while I did not see any wear, the holster would hit the mag release button sometimes when sitting or whatnot. I have never had this problem when using it with my single stack Kimber. I corrected the problem with a little work with my Dremel tool.

·
Registered
27,686 Posts
I have one I use for IDPA sometimes with a 1911. It works great and I have had no problems. It did not scratch my gun. It works a charm. Not bad for $15.

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use one for my Glock 19 and it works perfect. I have one for the 1911, both standard and roto, and neither one conceals well. The 1911 sticks out too far to hide, and the roto is worse and the mechanism further puts the gun away from the body. I think the Fobus would be good for IDPA, though, when concealment was not an issue.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I used one for my stainless colt for awhile and will never use one again, it left scars that will never heal.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Polymer holsters should not be able to scratch stainless steel. Simply put, the plastic is not hard enough to scratc steel. They may scratch off blue and polymer coatings, but not actually put scratches into the metal. If that has happened, then chances are there is a 3rd party culprit such as dirt/sand/grit that has either gotten into the holster or on the gun.

Try this. Take a plastic fork tine and see if you can scratch you Fobus holster with it. You should be able to. I can with the particular plastic forks we have for picnicking. Now try the same test on the stainless steel. There should be no mark. If you can scratch the Fobus with the fork, but not the steel, then the steel is harder than the fork that is harder than the Fobus, hence the Fobus should not be able to scratch the steel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you must have a kydex holster, look at the ones made by Wilson Combat - they are lined so the gun can't be scratched.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts