1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just picked up a Sistema. It's my first 1911, but to me it seems to be in pretty decent shape. I had fun breaking it down this afternoon to clean all the crud out of it, and I think it's coming along nicely. I do have one problem, which seems to be fairly common:

The mags I have, which are both generic blued with "Colt .45 Auto" stamped on the bottom, generally don't want to lock the slide back. It appears the problem is that the follower is just barely engaging the slide stop (if at all), and more often than not the follower manages to ride up over the stop. I think that the follower is just a *little* too narrow. My question: should I be looking for new followers, new mags, or a new slide stop?

·
Registered
983 Posts
If you can get your hands on one, get a working Wilson or Chip Mccormick mag to standardize the test on. Does the problem persist? If not, IMHO swap followers or mags.

If so, you might want to look to the slide stop.

WRT the slide stop, I have had the opposite problem, the slide stop being too BIG and engaging the rounds - so I guess it's possible for one to not fit the other way (for a slide stop that overextend, Kimber seems to ship them on their guns
)

just some thoughts -

Battler.

[This message has been edited by Battler (edited 11-18-2001).]

·
Registered
417 Posts
If your mags are like the one that came with my Systema, the follower is a bit narrower than one from a GI issue mag, or Colt, and it's rounded, not flat.

If so, then it's the follower, at least. I didn't fool with it after I gave it the standard three tries to work, and replaced it with one of my GI issue mags. Problem solved. Same with my other three GI issue mags, and the Colt mag that came with my M70.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
feedramp,

That perfectly describes my mags. Further research suggests that they are cheap, chinese manufactured mags that commonly cause problems.

I'll be on the lookout for Wilsons.

Thanks,
spork

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Unless the slide stop has been replaced, I'd replace that too. The mags can be improved if they are dimensionally correct with spring kits...If not, keep the spring kits as spares for the new mags you'll be needing anyway...Try this addy for new mags and Brownells for kits...
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

Good Luck and have fun!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts